Elastic held its first-ever fully virtual ElasticON Global event, featuring a public sector day, 19 keynotes, 300 breakout sessions, and 31 Ask Me Anything (AMA) and collaboration sessions from October 13-15, 2020.
ElasticON Global 2020 had something for everyone. Attendees learned how Elastic solutions help customers drive outcomes and business performance with data, insight, and action, and saw a preview of the Elastic vision and development direction for its solution areas across enterprise search, observability, and security, with demos of upcoming major product features.
Elastic CEO Shay Banon delivered the opening keynote debuting new solution innovations and discussed how those solutions harness the power of search to give users the fastest path from data to insight to action.
Keynote highlights include:
- A conversation with Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian, who joined Shay to share how the partnership between Elastic and Google Cloud helps accelerate business innovation for joint customers with Elastic’s free and paid proprietary features and solutions.
- Demos of upcoming product innovations, including Elastic Agent, Kibana Lens, actionable Kibana, searchable snapshots, and schema on read.
- Focused keynotes from Elastic leaders on Elastic Cloud, Elastic Stack and the Elastic Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security solutions.
- Fireside chats with customers about the KPIs that teams are tracking, the ways they’re using Elastic, critical features and capabilities, and more. The customers included Wells Fargo and Cerner in the Americas, Shell International in Europe, and international law firm King & Wood Mallesons in Asia-Pacific.
Public Sector Programming
The dedicated public sector day during ElasticON Global featured international government and higher education content.
Director of Solutions Architecture Dave Erickson shared the vision for the future of Elastic solutions for the public sector. Erickson presented new, impactful features, discussed GovCloud availability and FedRAMP authorization, and announced a new program for veterans called Operation Giving Back, which allows Elastic to make training and career advancement resources available to the veteran and active duty military community through a partnership with VetsinTech.
The public sector Elastic Search Awards were announced and the honorees are:
- Leidos, who built a data discovery platform making petabytes of sensitive mission data searchable and available to U.S. military and intelligence agencies.
- The UK National Crime Agency, who is using the Elastic Stack to enhance operational activity to cut both serious and organized crime.
- Stormfish Scientific Corporation, whose team is using Elastic to better understand how virtual and augmented reality impacts and empowers mission-critical decision making.
In addition, sessions featuring real-world government and higher education users sharing how Elastic is powering their cutting-edge use cases drove interest and engagement:
- Protecting against cyber attacks at UC Davis with Elastic
- Centralized logging in a changing environment at the UK’s DVLA
- How CACI and Elastic support the Department of Defense
Elastic General Manager Nate Fick closed the Public Sector event with a view of the cybersecurity universe today and the core philosophies that drive how Elastic builds security solutions to help customers meet today’s challenges. Nate discussed how attendees can stay agile, adapt, and protect what matters most with Elastic’s best-of-breed security solutions, in a world where mean time to detect (MTTD) still hovers at around 90 days and the barriers to entry for cyberattackers continue to fall.
The event’s 300+ sessions offered insights for all levels of attendees and provided a special component created specifically for executive-level attendees. Forrester Research analyst Noel Yuhanna delivered a session about leveraging the cloud to turn data into actionable insights. Ravi Ravishankar, vice president product marketing, moderated a panel discussion with Noel, John Fair, CTO, Rocket Homes, and Neil Cains, CTO, Innovation Lab, Allegis Group that was curated specifically for event participants in C-level and management roles.
In addition, other sessions featured customer speakers who shared critical insights for managers and executives as they talked about their data challenges and subsequent triumphs in using Elastic, including:
- Innovation development subsidiary of German automaker Audi, Audi Business Innovation, who spoke about delivering observability solutions as a service at speed and scale to all developers in the VW Group using Elastic
- French financial institution Société Générale, who use Elastic for observability to bridge their technical and functional vision for their monitoring solution to create more business value
- And Cisco, who uses Elastic to deliver sub-second response times across billions of assets to the consumers of its analytics and insights platform for product entitlements
Other Event Highlights
- Microsoft Azure head of product, Microsoft Azure development tools and diagnostics Paul Yuknewicz shared best practices for running Elasticsearch Service on Microsoft Azure and how the partnership between Microsoft and Elastic makes it easier to deploy powerful search experiences in an Azure environment.
- Elastic Chief Marketing Officer Sally Jenkins had a fireside chat with soccer star and World Cup champion Megan Rapinoe and Elastic CEO Shay Banon hosted a conversation with comedian and host of The Daily Show Trevor Noah. Both discussions highlighted views on equality, diversity, determination, resiliency, and more.
- Elastic Senior Inclusion Officer Karen Penn led a panel discussion about power and privilege in technology where participants reflected on their journeys as leaders in technology and shared how they have overcome institutional biases and hurdles. The panelists included:
- Madhura Chopda, Elastic Director of Engineering
- Heather Savory, Non-Executive Director and Business Advisor at UK Parliament’s Information Authority.
- Anjuan Simmons, Help Scout Engineering Coach
- Gary Smyth Elastic, Vice President of Cloud Inside Sales
With more than 300 sessions now available, viewers can access compelling content and hear thoughtful insights about using data to uncover insights that drive action for all - from practitioners to CXOs.
The full lineup of ElasticON Global 2020 event sessions is now available on demand for anyone, in any global region. Take and look to learn more about solution features, technical sessions or customer use cases, and sign up for updates about upcoming, dedicated solution-focused events for continued deep dives.
Thanks to the ElasticON Global 2020 sponsors: Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Dell Technologies, Novetta, Pure Storage, Siemplify, Siren, SVA, Zebrium, Corelight, Cribl, Norseman Defense Technologies, and OverOps.