Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
#Found - hosted #elasticsearch - is here. Join us on July 15 for a live webinar, demo, & Q&A. http://t.co/enEkIwFF8p pic.twitter.com/3wYW2LhYPO
— elastic (@elastic) July 8, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene.
- We've also got the The Logstash Lines, our weekly Logstash update. This edition includes some great blog posts from the Logstash community on using Logstash Forwarder with Docker.
- Curator 3.2.0 was released last week, including support for synced flushes and more! Get the full details in the release blog post.
- Adrien Grand shares a deep dive into store compression in Elasticsearch and Lucene, which includes discussion of several improvements to Lucene 5 that will benefit users of Elasticsearch 2.0. Check it out!
- Colin Goodheart-Smithe's latest post on aggregations offers an overview of all the pipeline aggs forthcoming in Elasticsearch 2.0. Learn all about these new types of aggregations in Colin's walk through.
- Automattic, the folks who bring you WordPress, bid farewell to MySQL and have replaced it with Elasticsearch. Learn how the switch yielded a 200x improvement for some of their customers in this blog post, which also includes a presentation video and accompanying slide deck.
- James Thomas offers this lovely tutorial on making your logging process more awesome using Elasticsearch and Docker in the cloud, with a little bonus material on managing IBM containers - complete with a ton of code snippets. Enjoy!
- The Hatena engineering team shares an Introduction to Elasticsearch. (日本語で)
- Enjoy our news round up? We have even more cool (and different!) how tos on offer in our weekly developer newsletter, Elastic's Thing a Week. Subscribers also receive the invitation to attend our Developer Hangouts live. If you'd like to subscribe - and it's all we'll send you unless you ask for more - just fill out this handy form.
Gearing up 4 the @elastic Tel Aviv meetup.View from the Gigya offices are amazing.Thx for hosting us. #elasticsearch pic.twitter.com/LC5UOb2EfT
— Boaz Leskes (@bleskes) July 8, 2015
Slides and Videos
Boaz Leskes on Resiliency in Elasticsearch
Where to find Us
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
- Our team will be in the exhibits hall at DevOps Days Melbourne, on July 16 & 17. We're also proposing an open space on the ELK Stack, so perhaps we'll see you in the open space zone, too.
- Honza Kral is heading Down Under for PyCon Australia, which is co-located this year with DjangoCon AU. The conferences and sprints run July 31 - August 4 in Brisbane. See you there!
The Elastic Paris Meetup will get together on July 29 to talk Fuzzy Name Matching in Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- Join our team in the exhibits hall at Java Forum Stuttgart on July 9. We'll be there to answer all your questions and give you some lovely Elastic goodies.
- The Search Technology Meetup Hamburg will convene on July 22 to talk Elasticsearch: Speed is Key. Register now to save your seat.
- The Search Meetup Munich will get together on July 28 to talk about GuteFrage's use case. Register now to save your seat.
- The Logstash team will be out in force this year at the co-located JRubyConfe and Eurucamp conferences, coming up in Berlin July 31 - August 2. See you in the hallway track!
For our second Tel Aviv meetup in July, you can hear about Elasticsearch and Fuzzy Matching, Fighting Crime with Elasticsearch and Unstructured Data Analytics and more. Register now to attend this meetup on July 22.
大阪でもやります！スピーカー募集中です！/ Elasticsearch勉強会 in 大阪 - elasticsearch勉強会 | Doorkeeper - https://t.co/48ZpSJ00jQ
— Jun Ohtani (@johtani) June 25, 2015
出張Elasticsearch勉強会第2弾！ / Elasticsearch勉強会 in 京都 - elasticsearch勉強会 | Doorkeeper - https://t.co/pMuNSFHAow
— Jun Ohtani (@johtani) June 25, 2015
EuroPython 2015 heads to Bilbao this year, featuring two talk from Honza Kral: Beyond the Basics with Elasticsearch and Don't be afraid to search. You can learn more about Honza's talks in the conference program; EuroPython runs July 20-26.
The London Elastic Meetup will get together on July 21 for two talks, including Mark Harwood on using Kibana 4 to analyze data from the Ministry of Transportation. Register now to save your seat - we're hosting at the Elastic London office!
United States - East
- The RubyJax Meetup in Jacksonville, Florida, will get together on July 9 to talk Elasticsearch. Register now to enjoy this subject matter and a few other talks.
- Heading to the Codestock 2015 Conference? Join our Developer Advocate, Shaunak Kashyap in the hallway track. Codestock runs July 10-11 in Knoxville.
- The Tampa JUG will convene on July 23 to talk Centralized Logging with Logstash. Register now to join the festivities.
- Chris Earle will be speaking at GR8Conf US on Using Groovy Extension Modules to make Elasticsearch's Java Client Groovy. Stay tuned for further schedule details to hear from Chris, but you can join him July 29 - 31 in Minneapolis.
United States - West
- On tonight:The Ansible Los Angeles User Group will convene on July 8 to talk about GumGum's use of Ansible to manage EC2 instances running Elasticsearch and many other technologies. Register now to save your seat.
- On tonight: The Elastic Silicon Valley User Group will convene on July 8 to hear about Palantir's use case. Register now to save your seat while we're finalizing the agenda.
- The Denver Elastic User Group will get together on July 14 for a casual meetup over drinks and snacks. Register now to attend and talk shop.
- The Salt Lake City Elastic Meetup will get together on July for a casual meetup over drinks and snacks. RSVP to let us know you're coming!
- The Seattle University Web Developer Meetup will convene on July 14 to talk KnockoutJS and Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place.
- The OpenLate @ OpenDNS Meetup will get together in San Francisco on July 14 to talk Elasticsearch for SQL Users. Our awesome Developer Advocate, Shaunak Kashyap, will be the invited speaker. Register now to save your seat.
- The Salt Lake City Elastic Meetup will get together for a casual meetup over pizza on July 14. Register now to save your seat.
- The South Bay PHP User Group will join the Elastic Silicon Valley Meetup on July 15. Talk details are still in the works, but register now to save your seat.
- The Elastic team will be out in force at OSCON 2015. The conference runs from July 20-24 in Portland, Oregon. Join us in the exhibits hall for an awesome demo, getting all your questions answered and some nifty swag! We'll also have a few folks from our Developer Advocate team at the co-located Community Leadership Summit & FLOSS Metrics Summit the weekend before, so if you're heading to these events, we'll see you there!
- The Dallas Elasticsearch User Group will convene on July 23 for an Introduction to Elasticsearch plus live demo of analyzing Twitter data. Register now to save your seat.
- The Elastic San Diego Meetup will get together on July 29 for an Introduction to the ELK stack. Register now to save your seat.
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Zurich - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Dallas - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Stockholm - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Dallas - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Los Angeles - July 16, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Mountain View - July 20, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Portland, OR - July 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - July 27, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- London - July 28, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - July 28, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- London - July 29, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- New York - August 3, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- New York - August 4, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- New York - August 6, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Operations)
- Montreal - August 11, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Seattle - August 13, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- Seattle - August 13, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Operations)
- San Francisco - August 17, 2015 (Hands-On Workhop)
- San Francisco - August 18, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- San Francisco - August 20, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Operations)
- Amsterdam - August 20. 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - August 21, 2015 (Kibana 4 Workshop)
- Amsterdam - August 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- Bangalore - August 24, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Austin - August 25, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - August 25, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Austin - August 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- Amsterdam - August 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Operations
- Cologne - August 26, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Cologne - August 27. 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)