Version 6.3.1 of the Elastic Stack has been released today, incorporating a couple of major bug fixes.
Major bug fixes
- Rolling upgrades from Elasticsearch 5.6.10 to 6.3.0 were broken when a synced flush was performed prior to upgrade. 6.3.1 includes the fix.
- 6.3.0 nodes would fail to join a security-enabled cluster unless security was explicitly enabled on the node. A fix is in 6.3.1 and 6.3.1 nodes will not have this issue.
- Also fixed is a bug in 6.3.0 that meant users of X-Pack machine learning could experience an unresponsive master node and other nodes dropping out of the cluster during the ML daily maintenance task, which runs between midnight and 2am.
Other notable changes
- The version of Node.js used by Kibana has been upgraded from version 8.11.0 to version 8.11.3.
- There is still an upgrade issue affecting X-Pack machine learning (ML). ML jobs that were created prior to version 6.3 can fail due to incompatible state if run in version 6.3.0 or 6.3.1. Whether a particular upgraded job will fail is data dependent. ML jobs created in 6.3 will not experience this problem. A workaround is therefore to clone ML jobs created prior to 6.3 after upgrading and run the clones. However, we advise production users of ML to wait for version 6.3.2 before upgrading.