One of the things that makes Elastic great from both a cultural and technological perspective is its community. Community is also critical in cybersecurity. The security space isn't about a single tool or individual, but rather how teams collaborate across various datasets and practices to protect valuable infrastructures. As we approach Black Hat, BSidesLV, and DEF CON (AKA “Hacker Summer Camp”) next week, I am proud of the role Elastic is playing to help foster this security community — whether through sponsorships, trainings, or the amazing original research and presentations coming out of the Elastic community itself.
Whether you’re on a security team at a three-letter agency, a Global 2000 firm, or even a startup, the Elastic (also known as ELK) Stack is likely part of your arsenal — whether on the surface or behind the scenes. Our technology is core to many of the security tools that SOCs rely on most because of its renowned speed, scale, and relevance.
Many organizations have used Elastic as their security analytics platform and home-baked SIEM solution for years. For example, SANS, one of the leaders in security training and certification providers, has long used Elasticsearch as their training platform for SIEM — not to mention the countless tools and training programs that leverage Elastic for threat hunting, insider threat, and fraud detection.
We recently launched our own Elastic SIEM in Elastic Stack 7.2 and made it part of our free Basic license. The security community is already rapidly adopting and providing feedback on Elastic SIEM...but this is just the start!
Where can you find Elastic this summer?
Here's where you can seek us out in Vegas.
At Black Hat we will be at booth #1630. Stop by and say hello! Elastic’s own Director of Security Products, Mike Paquette will be presenting Using ML-based Hypotheses for Log-based Threat Hunting at Black Hat on Thursday, August 8 from 12:10 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. in Oceanside G.
We also have a booth at BSidesLV. Elastic security gurus Kent Brake and Matteo Rebeschini are leading a hands-on session, Finding Evil with Mitre ATT&CK and the Elastic Stack on Wednesday, August 7 from 2:00 p.m. - 5:55 p.m. at the Platinum Hotel Training Ground 5.
During DEF CON, several Elasticians will be at the Blue Team Village helping with the OpenSOC capture the flag from Friday 9:00 a.m. - Sunday 2:00 p.m.
Partners make us stronger
We are hosting several private workshops at the Aria Hotel along with a few of our partners on Thursday, August 8 from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., followed by a happy hour from 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Here’s a breakdown of available sessions — register quickly as they’re filling up fast:
- 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Resolvn: Building a Training Environment for Threat Hunting with Elastic SIEM
- 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. empow: The End of the Ruling Class: SIEM + AI
- 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Lunch provided): Threat Hunting & Gathering Lunch & Learn (Neil Desai)
- 2:00 p.m. Perched: Threat Hunting with the Elastic Stack
- 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Dragos: ICS Vulnerability Assessments Powered by Elasticsearch
Elastic Community presentations
Don’t just take our word for it. Come see for yourself what the Elastic Security Community has been doing with the power of the Elastic Stack.
- BSidesLV Tuesday, August 6 | 3:00 p.m. - 3:55 p.m. The Contemplator Approach: Data Enrichment Through Elastic Stack - Rodrigo Brenes and Pedro Rodriguez
- DEF CON Friday, August 9 | 4:45 p.m. - 6:45 p.m. Intel-driven hunts for nation state activity using Elastic SIEM - Resolvn (Sean Donnelly and Peter Hay)
- DEF CON Friday, August 9 | 9:00 a.m. Threat Hunting with the Elastic Stack - Savoy Ballroom, Flamingo (Blue Team Village) (4H)- CyberPraesidium of Polito Inc
I hope to see you all in Las Vegas next week! If you want to learn more about leveraging Elastic for your security needs, please don’t hesitate to stop by our booth at Black Hat or BSidesLV — or come talk to us in our sessions.