The art and science of developing, deploying, and operating software are constantly in flux. Twenty plus years ago, software was much more straightforward than what we have today. Most web applications were built on simple clusters of HTTP servers and looking for problems was only a log file away for developers. From monolith, server processes to highly distributed and deep systems, we are now facing one of the toughest challenges in computing: monitoring end-to-end infrastructure with confidence. One potential solution is distributed tracing and application performance monitoring (APM). These technologies allow developers to understand their software better and build in a reasonable level of reliability that grants them the confidence to deploy software without much guesswork. Even on a Friday night!
What we'll cover:
- Understand the impact of highly distributed and deep systems
- The need to move beyond traditional monitoring and logging
- Learn how distributed tracing and APM technologies work
- Approaches to collect tracing data: OpenTelemetry and Elastic APM
- How uptime and real user experience analysis work with tracing