In 7.x, you’ll no longer see the Timelion application in the Kibana
side navigation. However, Timelion visualizations still exist in Visualize.
To enable Timelion in the side navigation, set
timelion.ui.enabled in your
kibana.yml file. In 8.0, the Timelion application will be deprecated. When
you upgrade from Kibana 7.x to 8.0, your Timelion sheets will be migrated to Timelion visualization objects.
Timelion is a time series data visualizer that enables you to combine totally independent data sources within a single visualization. It’s driven by a simple expression language you use to retrieve time series data, perform calculations to tease out the answers to complex questions, and visualize the results.
For example, Timelion enables you to easily get the answers to questions like:
- How many pages does each unique user view over time?
- What’s the difference in traffic volume between this Friday and last Friday?
- What percent of Japan’s population came to my site today?
- What’s the 10-day moving average of the S&P 500?
- What’s the cumulative sum of all search requests received in the last 2 years?
You might also be interested in these tutorial videos: