This Week in Elastic: Watcher, alerting for Elasticsearch, is coming soon
Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
#Watcher: You know, for Alerting (Coming Soon)...Get details & sign up for the webinar now http://t.co/b8o7xw4G9N pic.twitter.com/L1p8Hjfydn
— elastic (@elastic) May 11, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene.
- We've also got the The Logstash Lines, our weekly Logstash update. All about 1.5 RC4, scaling Logstash and more!
- The Kibana team made some major progress towards the 1.4 release over the past week, including pinned filters. Read on to learn about these and other updates in Kurrently in Kibana.
- And for all you lovers of Kibana, here's the next video tutorial in our series: embedding K4 visualizations into your homepage.
- Looking for best practices for using Elasticsearch in virtualized environments? This awesome tutorial is brought to you courtesy of Gabriel Moskovicz, one of our awesome support engineers!
- Martijn Laarman and Greg Marzouka released Elasticsearch .NET and NEST 1.5 last week. You should read the whole release blog post to learn about all the awesome changes, but if you just skip to the amazing tutorial they published along with the latest release, we will totally understand.
- The ELK Stack: bringing you all the monitoring infrastructure for the FIFA 2014 World Cup live stream architecture.
- Last, but not the least, learn all about our newly-launched discussion forums!
New article from one of the Found founders: A Dive into the Elasticsearch Storage https://t.co/Bfm27oI4yb #Elasticsearch
— Found by Elastic (@foundsays) May 7, 2015
Slides and Videos
Where to find Us
If you're in Denver & interested in #Elasticsearch, come hear me on things I wish I'd known as a newbie ES app dev: http://t.co/KNkatnr4m0
— Shaunak Kashyap (@shaunak) May 12, 2015
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
Samir Bennacer will take the stage at Voxxed Days Algiers to present An Introduction to the ELK Stack. This first ever conference takes place May 23, and Samir's talk is on for 2:00 PM.
The Melbourne Search Users Group will meet up on May 19 for a talk from Movideo: Migrating from Hibernate Search to Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat. We're pretty sure our very own Mark Walkom will be joining you, too!
- If you're attending the upcoming Open Stack Summit in Vancouver, make sure to catch the In Search of OpenStack Logs: A Hands-On Workshop session. You can also join Robyn Bergeron, our Operations Advocate, at our ELK Crossing BoF session on Wednesday afternoon. OpenStack Summit runs May 18-22.
- The Elasticsearch Toronto Meetup group will get together on May 19 to talk Centralized Logs and Analytics with ELK. Register now to save your place.
The Elasticsearch France Meetup returns to Paris on May 26. Watch this space so you know when we open up RSVPs!
During @RivieraDEV 2015, @dadoonet will show us how to add @ElasticSearch to legacy applications in a blink ! https://t.co/SEQK4M9ZVe
— RivieraDEV (@RivieraDEV) May 5, 2015
- Our partner firm, Trifork, has organized a Berlin GOTO Night with our very own Pere Urbon addressing Making Sense of Your Data. The GOTO Night takes place on May 13 and registration is free of charge.
- And because we know you can't get enough of Pere, check out his talk at the May Berlin DevOps Meetup on May 20, where he'll talk Scaling Logstash: A Collection of War Stories. Register now to save your seat.
- The Stuttgart Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on May 21 to talk Shield: Securing Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- The Elastic team will be out in force at Berlin Buzzwords, including 3 talks, a booth on the show floor and a special conference meetup. Stay tuned for more details, but you can register now for the conference. The event runs May 31 - June 3.
We've got dueling meetups in Tel-Aviv Yafo on May 26:
- Israel AWS User Group: How to Use ELK to Monitor Large-Scale AWS Environments - RSVP
- Big things are happening hear meetup: Geo Data analytics & Real-world use cases for Elasticsearch - RSVP
Johan Guldmyr will host a talk on dCache and the ELK stack at the 9th Annual dCache Workshop at 2:20 PM on May 19. The Workshop runs May 18-20 in Amsterdam.
For folks in Cardiff, Wales, your welcome to attend our Elasticsearch Meetup hosted at DjangoCon EU. Make sure to pop by the conference to say hello to Honza Kral in the hallway track. DjangoCon EU 2015 runs May 31 - June 5.
South Wales Elasticsearchers: a meetup with a talk by Honza Král @HonzaKral, Elasticsearch developer: http://t.co/ZwUe3ln5VL All welcome.
— DjangoCon Europe (@DjangoConEurope) May 11, 2015
United States - East
- The Elastic Chicago Meetup will convene tonight, May 13, to discuss Performance Tuning for Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place. For folks in Chicago interested in all things .NET, you may also want to join the CNUG User Group meeting on May 20 for an Introduction to the ELK stack.
- The Detroit Elastic User Group will hold its inaugural meeting on May 27, where Peter Kim will reprise his talk from the DevOps and Automation New Jersey Meetup. Register now to save your seat.
United States - West
- Does your whale need an ELK buddy? Join the Seattle User Group on May 18 to hear all about using Docker together with the ELK stack. Register now to save your seat.
- Heading to Gluecon? Great, so are we! You can visit us in the exhibits hall to get questions answered throughout the conference, and make sure to check our Aaron Mildenstein's talk: An Introduction to the ELK stack. Gluecon runs May 20-21 in Broomfield, Colorado.
- If you're not heading to Gluecon but find yourself in Denver, you can still hear from our awesome Gluecon speaker, our newest Developer Advocate, Shaunak Kashyap, and Bitly's engineering team on their Elasticsearch user case. Register now to save your place for the Denver Meetup coming up on May 18!
- The San Antonio DevOps Meetup will welcome 3 speakers from Elastic on May 27. Register now to hear all about the ELK stack for DevOps, including how we eat our own ELK-food from Elastic's infrastructure team lead.
- On May 28, the Elasticsearch Dallas Fort Worth Meetup will convene to talk going into Production with Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place.
- The Kansas City Big Data Meetup will get together for a lunch and learn on Elasticsearch & Data Analysis on May 28. Register now to save your place. Lunch will be provided for attendees.
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Mountain View - May 12, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Paris - May 8, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Mountain View - May 15, 2015 (Elasticsearch Operations - new course)
- Denver - May 18, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Southwest Washington DC - May 19, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Vancouver - May 20, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - May 25, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Paris - May 26, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - May 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Miami - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Paris - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Sao Paulo - June 2, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Sao Paulo - June 3, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- New York - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- San Francisco - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- New York - June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- San Francisco- June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - June 22, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - June 23, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Toronto - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Chicago - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)