Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
#Elasticsearch for Apache #Hadoop 2.1 GA is here. Now w/native support for Spark, Storm + more http://t.co/uZjrMmCr7X pic.twitter.com/MpQVB8ptAK
— elastic (@elastic) June 24, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene. Some of this week's highlights include the latest bug fix release for Lucene, v 5.2.1.
- We've also got the The Logstash Lines, our weekly Logstash update. This edition includes a deep dive into the grok filter plugin. Enjoy!
- For all you lovers of Logstash, Tal Levy has a great walkthrough of the Apache Kafka integration included in Logstash 1.5. Read on to learn how to get started and about our future plans for Logstash and Kafka.
- We recently release Watcher 1.0.0-RC1! This release includes new features like setting dynamic variables via scripting, plus some bug fixes. Uri Boness has all the news you can use in the release blog post.
- Curious about how folks are using Shield? DHL shares their story of using Shield to secure their mission critical logistics data.
- Want to learn some best practices for upgrading your Elasticsearch clusters? Look no further than our upcoming webcast with Ryan Ernst. Ryan brings you the scoop on June 30. (Registration required).
- Michael Hausenblas shares an excellent tutorial on building a web application, including analytics, with the ELK stack, Docker and, Mesos and Marathon. Read on for all the details, including tons of code samples to help you get started.
- Drupalistas <3 Elasticsearch, and the feeling is mutual. Take a look at Nick Steilau's post on how Pantheon uses Elasticsearch for Monitoring and Debugging in Drupal.
- Chris Hart's lovely tutorial for beginners on Creating a REST API in minutes with Pyramid and Ramses is terrific for Pythonistsas and lovers of Elasticsearch. Check it out!
- Harold Neal brings you the story of how Vox Media optimized the performance of their video analytics using Elasticsearch. Sample code and best practices abound in this post - enjoy!
- How do you make sure your customers get exactly the car they want when shopping for their next automobile? Why, Elasticsearch, of course! TrueCar shares the details of their entire open source big data stack in this article.
- Enjoy our news round up? We have even more cool (and different!) how tos on offer in our weekly developer newsletter, Elastic's Thing a Week. Subscribers also receive the invitation to attend our Developer Hangouts live. If you'd like to subscribe - and it's all we'll send you unless you ask for more - just fill out this handy form.
NEST and #Elasticsearch.NET 1.6 just released! https://t.co/FdkjLhNXD1 @elastic
— Greg Marzouka (@gregmarzouka) June 22, 2015
Happy #puppet Wednesday. #elasticsearch Puppet module 0.9.7 released with bugfixes and hot new features. Grab it at https://t.co/WCyNxzaKlC
— Richard pijnenburg (@Richardp82) June 24, 2015
Slides and Videos
From last week's GOTO Amsterdam Conference
From last week's Boston Elasticsearch Meetup
A hands on walkthrough of using Elasticsearch, Kibana and Marvel
Where to find Us
Come say hello to @elastic at #devopsdays Amsterdam. We have cool swag and hot information for you! pic.twitter.com/LKkjtGV4av
— Shaunak Kashyap (@shaunak) June 24, 2015
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
- Join the Brisbane AWS User Group on July 1 to learn how Everyday Hero manages their deployment using Elasticsearch and Kibana. Register now to save your seat.
- Our team will be in the exhibits hall at DevOps Days Melbourne, on July 16 & 17. We're also proposing an open space on the ELK Stack, so perhaps we'll see you in the open space zone, too.
Join the Lenguajes dinámicos meetup group in Santiago tonight, June 24, to talk Elasticsearch and Ruby. Register now to save your seat.
- Join the Orléans Tech Talks meetup on June 25 to hear about Elasticsearch, plus Domain Driven Design. Register now to save your seat.
- Join David Pilato for two talks at JDEV 2015 in Bordeaux. The conference runs June 30-July 3.
- Join the Elastic France Meetup in Bordeaux on June 30 to learn about data-driven applications with Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- The Paris Couchbase Meetup will convene on June 30 to talk Elastic, Couchbase, Kibana 4 and more. Register now to save your seat.
Join our team in the exhibits hall at Java Forum Stuttgart on July 9. We'll be there to answer all your questions and give you some lovely Elastic goodies.
- The Delhi Elastic Meetup will get together on June 28. They're also looking for speakers. RSVP and contact the organizer via meetup.com.
- The Practical Big Data Science Meetup will host a hands on training on the ELK stack for log analysis and monitoring on July 4. Register now to save your seat.
The next Korea Elasticsearch Study Session will be held on July 1. Register now to attend.
DevOps Days Amsterdam returns to the Pakhuis de Zwijger June 24-26. You can visit us at our booth or hear from Leslie Hawthorn on her latest DevOps and Culture topic, Fear of Failing Fast: How to Avoid Sabotaging Your Success. Rumor has it that the amazing BBQ will be reprised this year, so do not miss this one!
The next meeting of the Elasticsearch ELK NZ meetup is coming to Wellington on July 2. We're still lining up the agenda, but for now RSVP to save your seat.
- The Madrid Java User Group & the Madrid MongoDB User Group are co-hosting a meetup tonight, June 24, to talk Elasticsearch, AngularJS, MongoDB and more. Register now to join them.
- The Madrid Open Analytics Meetup will get together on June 25 to talk big data before your holidays, including Elasticsearch. Register now to join them. (No holiday included, but definitely great knowledge sharing.)
- EuroPython 2015 heads to Bilbao this year, featuring two talk from Honza Kral: Beyond the Basics with Elasticsearch and Don't be afraid to search. You can learn more about Honza's talks in the conference program; EuroPython runs July 20-26.
The L'viv DevOps Meetup will get together on June 27 for CoreOS Fest Conference review, featuring a CoreOS with Kubernetes demo: ElasticSearch Cluster on local machine and AWS. Register now to save your seat.
- Join Alan Hardy and Mark Harwood tonight, June 24, for Manchester Geek Nights, where you'll hear about Elasticsearch in Action and Building Entity Centric Indexes. Register now to save your seat.
- Can't join the Manchester Geek Nights meetup in person tonight? No worries. The fine folks organizing the meetup have set up a livestream. Stay tuned here to watch live!
- The Full Stack Developer London Meetup will get together for their first meetup on July 2, including a demo of the ELK stack. Register now to attend.
- The London Elastic Meetup will get together on July 21 for two talks, including Mark Harwood on using Kibana 4 to analyze data from the Ministry of Transportation. Register now to save your seat - we're hosting at the Elastic London office!
United States - East
- Join the Elastic team in the exhibits hall at the GEOINT 2015 Symposium, on June 22-25 in Washington, DC. We'll have cool goodies and knowledge on offer.
- Our team will be on the show floor to answer any questions you may have at Red Hat Summit 2015 slated for June 23-26 in Boston. Co-located with the event, check out Red Hat's Developer Conference DevNation, on June 21-25. Amongst the many great talks on offer at DevNation, our very own Robyn Bergeron will address The Democratization of DevOps.
- The Elastic DC Meetup will get together on June 25 to talk Elasticsearch and Fuzzy Matching. Register now to save your place,
- If you're attending CodeConf 2015 in Nashville June 25-26, make sure to say hello to Drew Raines in the hallway track!
- The RubyJax Meetup in Jacksonville, Florida, will get together on July 9 to talk Elasticsearch. Register now to enjoy this subject matter and a few other talks.
- Heading to the Codestock 2015 Conference? Join our Developer Advocate, Shaunak Kashyap in the hallway track. Codestock runs July 10-11 in Nashville.
- The Tampa JUG will convene on July 23 to talk Centralized Logging with Logstash. Register now to join the festivities.
United States - West
- The Elastic LAX Meetup group will convene tonight, June 24, to talk about the ELK stack. They're also looking for a venue host and presenters, so get in touch! You can RSVP and talk to the group organizers via meetup.com.
- The Elastic Dallas Fort Worth Meetup will get together on June 25 for an Introduction to Elasticsearch, which will include both a presentation and interactive learning / hands-on component. Register now to save your seat. (Plus, while you are there, congratulate the community organizers, Charith Tangirala and Jason Gaylon, on getting the group to 100 participants!)
- The Meteor South Bay Meetup will be co-hosting their next meeting with the Elastic Silicon Valley Meetup at Elastic's Mountain View offices. Join us on June 30 to hear all about using Elasticsearch with Meteor.js.
- The Elastic Phoenix User Group will get together for a casual meetup over drinks on June 30. Register now so we can get the bar tab just right!
- The Ansible Los Angeles User Group will convene on July 8 to talk about GumGum's use of Ansible to manage EC2 instances running Elasticsearch and many other technologies. Register now to save your seat.
- The Seattle University Web Developer Meetup will convene on July 14 to talk KnockoutJS and Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place.
- The OpenLate @ OpenDNS Meetup will get together in San Francisco on July 14 to talk Elasticsearch for SQL Users. Our awesome Developer Advocate, Shaunak Kashyap, will be the invited speaker. Register now to save your seat.
- The South Bay PHP User Group will join the Elastic Silicon Valley Meetup on July 15. Talk details are still in the works, but register now to save your seat.
- The Elastic team will be out in force at OSCON 2015. The conference runs from July 20-24 in Portland, Oregon. Join us in the exhibits hall for an awesome demo, getting all your questions answered and some nifty swag!
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Berlin - July 1, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Wellington - July 1, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Berlin - July 2, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Wellington - July 2, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Sydney - July 6, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Sydney - July 7, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations)
- Sydney - July 8, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Zurich - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Reston, VA - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations)
- Dallas - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Stockholm - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Reston, VA - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations)
- Dallas - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Reston, VA - July 15, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Los Angeles - July 16, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Mountain View - July 20, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Mountain View - July 21, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations)
- Mountain View - July 22, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Portland, OR - July 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Mountain View - July 24, 2015 (Kibana Workshop)
- Bangalore - July 27, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- London - July 28, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - July 28, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- London - July 29, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - August 24, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - August 25, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)