This Week in Elastic: Release of Kibana 4.0.2 & Deprecating Rivers
Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
Found customers, you may now provision #Elasticsearch 1.5.0. Inner hits, shadow replica, resiliency enhancements! https://t.co/BtsPBSYQeT
— Found by Elastic (@foundsays) March 30, 2015
- Ready for your weekly deep dive into all the latest developments from the Elastic engineers bringing you Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene? Nifty. We've even got details of all the plugin releases completed in the past week. Enjoy the update!
- Looking for all the latest news on Kibana development? Check out Kurrently in Kibana, which includes updates on the team's recent all hands meeting.
- While you're exploring all things from Kibana land, check out Rashid Khan's blog post on yesterday's release of Kibana 4.0.2. The release includes a number of enhancements and a few bug fixes.
- We're deprecating the Rivers feature in Elasticsearch. Read on to hear from Shay Banon on why we're deprecating Rivers and how you can replace your current River implementations.
- When building a CRM system, mobile first is key to empowering your customers. Read on to learn more about why Inbot chose Elasticsearch as the back end for their CRM system. Hint: they really love the real-time analytics provided by Elasticsearch and think our aggregations feature rocks!
- Want an inside view of why folks love to work at Elastic? Complete with a list of some of the ELK stack's coolest use cases? Daniel Palay has authored a retrospective on his year at Elastic with all these details.
- It's no secret that The Guardian uses Elasticsearch and the ELK stack extensively to monitor user engagement with news stories. The Guardian's developer team recently shared the story of their Elasticsearch upgrade, complete with details on their dual stack strategy. A must read for anyone considering working with Elasticsearch and AWS' Route53 service. (Turns out its pretty tough!)
- If you're a .NET dev looking to get started with geospatial search with Elasticsearch, Russ Cam shared an excellent tutorial for doing so using our official .NET client, NEST.
- Mitchell Anicas authored another tutorial in his series on the ELK stack, this time tackling How to Map User Location with GeoIP in ELK. All the articles in this series are terrific, so check them out - they're all linked from the GeoIP tutorial.
- Want to learn more about combining Kubernetes, Fluentd and Elasticsearch? Jon Langemak shared an in-depth walk through, complete with code samples, just yesterday. Jon, if this was an April Fool's joke, we're totally taken in!
- Tips on performance tuning an ELK cluster? Yes, please! Josh Reichardt shared a great article with tips and tricks for those of you Dockerizing the ELK stack for log analytics.
We've revamped the full text search for the Django docs based on @elasticsearch, including browser search! https://t.co/O7XrTUKejD #django
— Jannis Leidel (@jezdez) April 1, 2015
Slides and Videos
Complete with code samples on GitHub so you can follow along at home!
How to use, love and contribute to Kibana
Use cases for Elasticsearch (auf Deutsch)
Where to find Us
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
That's adorable! “While I was cleaning the flat today I took this photo of my @elastic ELK cluster chilling! pic.twitter.com/FiRYVLGSX6"
— Hobbsee (@SarahKowalik) April 2, 2015
- Mark Walkolm will visit the Australian Computer Society (ACS) meeting on April 8 to discussing Corralling Logs with ELK. You can register now for this session, which is free of charge for ACS Members.
- Join us for the April Sydney ELK Meetup on April 22 for some pretty amazing talks on Docker and ELK plus Elasticsearch + Cassandra + Kafka + Spark in a Windows Environment. Sign up now to save your seat.
The EU edition of Hadoop Summit will be held this year in Brussels April 15-16. You can join Costin Leau, lead developer of Elasticsearch for Apache Hadoop, for his presentation Real Insights, Real-time: Bridging Batch and Real-time Systems for Anomaly Detection, on Wednesday at 2:30 PM in Silver Hall.
The Elastic team is proud to sponsor PyCon North America 2015, and Alex Brasetvik, Honza Kral, Katy Wendland, Peter Kim and Pier-Hugues (PH) Pellerin look forward to seeing you at our booth on the show floor. We'll be sharing all things ELK Stack for Pythonistas, plus telling you all about how Found by Elastic can make life better for all you folks looking to integrate Elasticsearch as a Service in your Python applications.
Even better, Honza, PH and Peter will bring you a 1.5 hour tutorial on Getting Started with Elasticsearch, including an introduction to our Python language clients. The tutorial takes place on April 8 from 9 - 10:30 AM, and PyCon runs April 8-16, including conference sessions and sprints, in Montreal.
In Toronto instead of Montreal? We've got you covered! Join the Elasticsearch Toronto User Group on April 21 to talk about Zero Downtime for Elasticsearch in Production. Register now to save your seat.
The Aarhus Ruby User Group will get together on April 13 to discuss log aggregation on AWS using the ELK stack. They're also on the look out for additional speakers. You can RSVP and get in touch with the organizers to volunteer to present on their meetup.com event page.
- Attending Devoxx France April 8-10 in Paris? Colin Surprenant and David Pilato will be speaking in several sessions, including:
- Alexander Reelsen will be one of the stalwart folks organizing the Developer Camp Munich unconference, coming up on April 18-19. Make sure to say hello to Alex during the sessions, and check out the Developer Camp website for information on registration and volunteer opportunities for folks who'd like to help organize.
- If you will be attending JAX Mainz, you can get a demo of ELK from our Solutions Architect team. They'll be hanging out with our partner, Innovex, at their booth. Jax Mainz runs April 20-24.
- The Open Source Data Center Conference returns to Berlin this year from April 21-23. Please join Pere Urbon, Logstash developer, for his presentation Scaling Logstash: A Collection of War Stories.
- The first ever Elasticsearch Study Session in Nagoya will take place on April 4, including a general introduction to Elasticsearch & the ELK stack from Jun Ohtani. The Study Session will also include two use case presentations. Register here to attend the event.
- Jun Ohtani will speak at JJUG CCC on April 15 on Visualizing your data with Kibana 4. You can find full details on the event, including registration information, on the JJUG CC event site.
- The next Elasticsearch Study Session in Tokyo will take place on April 15 and will feature Igor Motov from Elastic on Resiliency in Elasticsearch and Nathan Zamecnik on Kibana 4. Register here to attend.
The Seoul community will hold their next Study Session on April 7, with presentations from Igor Motov and Nathan Zamecnik from Elastic. Check out the full details on the event from Jong Min Kim, the Seoul Study Session organizer. Jong Min's post includes details on registering for the Study Session.
The TechNxt user group in Pune will meet on April 4 to talk Application Containers and Measuring Systems Performance. You guessed it, the systems performance talk will feature details on the ELK stack. Register now to attend.
The Fullstack Developers User Group of Tel Aviv-Yafo will meet on April 13 to for a workshop on Elasticsearch Basics and Dev Tools. Doors open at 4 PM. Register now to attend.
The Enterprise Search Warsaw Meetup will welcome Alexander Reelsen and Karel Minarik at their April 14 meeting. Please join them to hear about speed in Elasticsearch and Elasticsearch's Rails integration. Register now to save your seat.
- The next Elasticsearch Barcelona Meetup will take place on April 13, covering Elasticsearch Applied for Music Monitoring and Elasticsearch: More than Just Search for your applications. Register now to save your seat, as this meetup is filling up fast!
- If you're heading to the Spring I/O Conference in Barcelona, make sure to catch Clinton Gormley's talk Scaling Real-Time Search and Analytics with Elasticsearch. The conference runs April 29-30.
The first ever Elastic Meetup in Göteborg will convene on April 9 at 5 PM to discuss getting started with Elasticsearch and the ELK Stack. Register now to save your seat.
- Heading to Puppet Camp London on April 13? Great! Elastic's very own Puppet expert, Richard Pijnenburg, will be attending, also. Make sure to say hello to him in the hallway track and let him know if you're a fan of his Puppet modules for Elasticsearch and Logstash!
- The London Elasticsearch Meetup will next convene on April 29 for casual drinks and Q&A with the Elastic developer team. Register now to let us know you're coming!
Attending #dotnetfringe ? Come join me and @gregmarzouka to for an #elasticsearch workshop and rebuild #nuget search! http://t.co/OumsQNLMAb
— Martijn Laarman (@Mpdreamz) March 24, 2015
- Featured conference: We're proud sponsors of the .NET Fringe conference, a first time event for members of the .NET open source community. Please join us on Sunday, April 12 for an afternoon workshop from Greg Marzouka and Martijn Laarman on Elasticsearch and the ELK Stack for .NET Developers. The conference runs from April 12-14 in Portland, Oregon. Tickets are still available, but get a move on before they sell out!
- Featured meetup: On Monday, April 13, Greg and Martijn will speak at the Elasticsearch Portlandia Meetup on Elasticsearch for .NET developers. You can register to attend live here or, if you call Silicon Valley home instead of Portland, you can join us in our Mountain View office for the webcast.
- The Elasticsearch Oklahoma User Group will get together on Saturday, April 11 to talk tips and tricks for Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- Three of Elastic's developers who focus on Apache Lucene will be attending ApacheCon North America on Austin, April 13-16. Make sure to say hello to Areek Zillur, Robert Muir and Ryan Ernst in the hallway track!
- The Austin Puppet User Group will get together on April 14 to discuss using Elasticsearch's Puppet Modules, including a live demo of installing the ELK stack using Puppet. Register now to save your seat.
- In Silicon Valley? Please join us for an office warming party and meetup at Elastic's new offices on April 15. In addition to fun, food and beverage, we'll here from Reltio's Chief Architect on Illuminating Enterprise Data-driven Applications with Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat, and please do so early. This meetup fills up lightning fast!
- For our fans in New York City, our two .NET developers, Greg Marzouka and Martijn Laarman will be visiting on April 15 and will be presenting Elasticsearch for .NET Developers at the Elasticsearch New York City Meetup. Register now to save your seat - we're expecting a long waiting list!
- The Minneapolis DevOps Meetup will host a series of lightning talks at their April 20 meeting. Amongst several talks, you will hear from Vern Burton on The ELK Stack: How? When? Why? Register now to join the festivities, and don't forget they're still looking for more lightning talk submissions!
- The Seattle Elasticsearch User Group will meet on April 21 to talk Docker and the ELK stack. This meetup always fills up quickly, so register now to save your seat.
- The Human Language Technology Conference is coming up in Herndon, Virginia on April 28. If you're attending the conference, make sure to see Steve Kearns' presentation Elasticsearch & Kibana - Interactive Analysis of Multisource Data.
- Join the folks from LinkedIn for a meetup on their use of the ELK stack on April 29. LinkedIn is gracious enough to host this meetup in their Mountain View, California offices, too! Register now to save your space, plus details forthcoming on a second speaker from the Elastic developer
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- San Francisco – April 7, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- San Francisco – April 8, 2015 (Hands on Workshop)
- Amsterdam – April 8, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Seoul – April 8, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- San Francisco - April 9, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Tokyo – April 13, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Austin – April 23, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- New York – April 29, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Tel Aviv - April 29, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Vienna - May 12, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Mountain View - May 12, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Mountain View - May 13, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Denver - May 18, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Hamburg - May 19, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Herndon - May 19, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Vancouver - May 20, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Paris - May 26, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Miami - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Sao Paulo - June 2, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Sao Paulo - June 3, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Manchester - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Toronto - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)
- Chicago - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Training)