Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
Getting started w/Watcher -alerting for #Elasticsearch? Join @skearns64 on Jul 21 for live demos, real use cases+more http://t.co/8HUondQF08
— elastic (@elastic) July 16, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- We just released Elasticsearch 1.7.0 and 1.6.1. These releases contain a security fix and we advise all users to upgrade immediately. Check out the release blog post for full details.
- We're bringing you better query execution in Elasticsearch 2.0! Read on to hear more about how we've optimized querying for this forthcoming release.
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene, plus a great walk through from Mike McCandless on how the Lucene team has helped squash JVM bugs.
- Always wished that Logstash would receive data via HTTP requests? Wait no longer! Our new plugin, logstash-input-http, is now available and will ship as a default plugin in Logstash 1.5.2 and beyond. You can get the full details in the release blog post.
- Shelby Switzer shares how Elasticsearch is helping Code for America solve the local data problem in her guest blog post, which includes your daily dose of civic hacking love, Elasticsearch and Docker.
- The forloop engineering team brings you detailed walk through on Optimistic Concurrency with Elasticsearch and NEST, complete with code snippets and some lovely architectural diagrams. (And, if you enjoy this post, you may also like their how to on Geospatial search with Elasticsearch and NEST.)
- Qing Zou's recent article in the Code4Lib journal offers a deep dive into using the ELK stack to monitor EZproxy logs in real-time - another wonderful walk through full of code samples and architecture diagrams.
- Fatih Cetinkaya treats you to a look at Servers as Microservices at Yieldbot, all glued together using the ELK stack for the logging and monitoring backend.
- Enjoy our news round up? We have even more cool (and different!) how tos on offer in our weekly developer newsletter, Elastic's Thing a Week. Subscribers also receive the invitation to attend our Developer Hangouts live. If you'd like to subscribe - and it's all we'll send you unless you ask for more - just fill out this handy form.
We just released beta2 of our NEST extension that adds support for #elasticsearch #watcher GA! https://t.co/v8MWuwtw0m
— Martijn Laarman (@Mpdreamz) July 15, 2015
Support for MongoDB, multiple Elasticsearch nodes and other goodies in the new Packetbeat 1.0.0-beta2 #elasticbeats http://t.co/bdhcm5uk1J
— Packetbeat (@packetbeat) July 13, 2015
Slides and Videos
If you're a PHP developer, Shaunak Kashyap just gave a presentation on how to make the best use of our Elasticsearch PHP client. You can check out the accompanying demo application on GitHub.
David Pilato helps you make sense of your (BIG) data at the recent Web2Day Nantes Conference
Where to find Us
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
- Our team will be in the exhibits hall at DevOps Days Melbourne, on July 16 & 17. We're also proposing an open space on the ELK Stack, so perhaps we'll see you in the open space zone, too.
- Honza Kral is heading Down Under for PyCon Australia, which is co-located this year with DjangoCon AU. The conferences and sprints run July 31 - August 4 in Brisbane. See you there!
- The Elasticsearch Sydney Meetup will get together on August 6th to discuss a comparison of Elasticsearch to SQL, plus more speaker to be announced. Register now to save your seat.
The Elastic Paris Meetup will get together on July 29 to talk Fuzzy Name Matching in Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- The Search Technology Meetup Hamburg will convene on July 22 to talk Elasticsearch: Speed is Key. Register now to save your seat.
- The Search Meetup Munich will get together on July 28 to talk about GuteFrage's use case. Register now to save your seat.
- The Logstash team will be out in force this year at the co-located JRubyConf and Eurucamp conferences, coming up in Berlin July 31 - August 2. See you in the hallway track!
The Big Data Analytics on Cloud Meetup group of Hyderabad will get together on August 1 for a Hands on ELK Workshop. Register now to attend.
For our second Tel Aviv meetup in July, you can hear about Elasticsearch and Fuzzy Matching, Fighting Crime with Elasticsearch and Unstructured Data Analytics and more. Register now to attend this meetup on July 22.
タイトル決めました（中身はまだだけど）/ 【東京】【女性限定】Javaでデータ解析 基本のキ！ - Java女子部 | Doorkeeper - https://t.co/mXf6NYt9Ka
— Jun Ohtani (@johtani) July 1, 2015
今回は、CTOでありElasticsearchの生みの親であるShayが来日してトークします。 / 第11回elasticsearch勉強会 #elasticsearch #elasticsearchjp - https://t.co/faUQGokmGq
— Jun Ohtani (@johtani) July 16, 2015
[Elastic Seoul Meetup - 엘라스틱 서울 밋업] 모임을 온오프믹스에 개설하였습니다. 많이 참석해주세요! http://t.co/fc3G7bDuGd
— JongMin Kim 김종민 드미트리 (@kimjmin) July 15, 2015
The Elasticsearch South Africa group will convene in Jo'Burg on July 29 for a Gentle Introduction to Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
EuroPython 2015 heads to Bilbao this year, featuring two talk from Honza Kral: Beyond the Basics with Elasticsearch and Don't be afraid to search. You can learn more about Honza's talks in the conference program; EuroPython runs July 20-26.
- The London Elastic Meetup will get together on July 21 for two talks, including Mark Harwood on using Kibana 4 to analyze data from the Ministry of Transportation. Register now to save your seat - we're hosting at the Elastic London office!
- The Bristol Java Meetup will convene on August 4 to talk Elasticsearch Internals, Spring Boot and Microservices. Register now to save your place.
United States - East
- The Elastic New York Meetup will get together on July 22 to hear all about how Pelias uses Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- The Tampa JUG will convene on July 23 to talk Centralized Logging with Logstash. Register now to join the festivities.
- Chris Earle will be speaking at GR8Conf US on Using Groovy Extension Modules to make Elasticsearch's Java Client Groovy. Stay tuned for further schedule details to hear from Chris, but you can join him July 29 - 31 in Minneapolis.
- Shaunak Kashyap will give an Introduction to Elasticsearch at That Conference, coming up August 10-12 in the Wisconsin Dells. You can catch Shaunak's presentation at 10:30 AM on August 10.
- The RubyJAX Meetup of Jacksonville-Beach, Florida, will get together on August 13 to talk about Data Store Alternatives, including Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
United States - West
- The Elastic team will be out in force at OSCON 2015. The conference runs from July 20-24 in Portland, Oregon. Join us in the exhibits hall for an awesome demo, getting all your questions answered and some nifty swag! We'll also have a few folks from our Developer Advocate team at the co-located Community Leadership Summit & FLOSS Metrics Summit the weekend before, so if you're heading to these events, we'll see you there!
- The Seattle Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on July 21 to review Elasticsearch on Azure: Guidance, Tips and Best Practices. Register now to attend.
- The Cloud Austin Meetup will welcome speakers from Elastic on July 21 to talk Elasticsearch and Docker. Register now to save your seat.
- The Dallas Elasticsearch User Group will convene on July 23 for an Introduction to Elasticsearch plus live demo of analyzing Twitter data. Register now to save your seat.
- The Advanced Apache Spark Meetup of San Francisco will convene on July 28 to talk Realtime Advanced Analytics, including Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place.
- The Elastic San Diego Meetup will get together on July 29 for an Introduction to the ELK stack. Register now to save your seat.
- Heading to Blackhat in Las Vegas August 1-6? Be sure to catch Quentin Long's talk on ElastAlert.
The Montevideo Big Data and Data Science Meetup will get together on August 6 for talks on Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in training on Elastic's product line, we have courses coming up in:
- Bangalore - July 27, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - July 28, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- London - July 29, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- New York - August 3, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- New York - August 4, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- New York - August 6, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Operations)
- Montreal - August 11, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Kirkland - August 11, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- Kirkland - August 13, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Operations)
- San Francisco - August 17, 2015 (Hands-On Workhop)
- San Francisco - August 18, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- San Francisco - August 20, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Operations)
- Amsterdam - August 20. 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - August 21, 2015 (Kibana 4 Workshop)
- Amsterdam - August 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- Bangalore - August 24, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Austin - August 25, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - August 25, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Austin - August 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)
- Amsterdam - August 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Operations
- Cologne - August 26, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Cologne - August 27. 2015 (Core Elasticsearch: Developer)