Ensure your feature will work under all possible Kibana scenarios.
Environmental configuration scenariosedit
- Does the feature work on cloud environment?
- Does it create a setting that needs to be exposed, or configured differently than the default, on Cloud? (whitelisting of certain settings/users? Ref: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/cloud/current/ec-add-user-settings.html , https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/cloud/current/ec-manage-kibana-settings.html)
- Is there a significant performance impact that may affect Cloud Kibana instances?
- Does it need to be aware of running in a container? (for example monitoring)
Multiple Kibana instances
- Pointing to the same index
Pointing to different indexes
- Should make sure that the Kibana index is not hardcoded anywhere.
- Should not be storing a bunch of stuff in Kibana memory.
- Should emulate a high availability deployment.
- Anticipating different timing related issues due to shared resource access.
- We need to make sure security is set up in a specific way for non-standard Kibana indices. (create their own custom roles)
- Kibana running behind a reverse proxy or load balancer, without sticky sessions. (we have had many discuss/SDH tickets around this)
- If a proxy/loadbalancer is running between ES and Kibana
- Using a custom Kibana index alias
When optional dependencies are disabled
- Ensure all your required dependencies are listed in kibana.json dependency list!
- Does the feature have sufficient unit test coverage? (does it handle storeinSessions?)
- Does the feature have sufficient Functional UI test coverage?
- Does the feature have sufficient Rest API coverage test coverage?
- Does the feature have sufficient Integration test coverage?
Refer to the list of browsers and OS Kibana supports: https://www.elastic.co/support/matrix
Does the feature work efficiently on the list of supported browsers?
Upgrade and Migration scenariosedit
- Does the feature affect old indices or saved objects?
- Has the feature been tested with Kibana aliases?
- Read/Write privileges of the indices before and after the upgrade?