Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
Community + one a-mazing data scientist concur: you want to hear each others real world stories. We're here to help! https://t.co/Hyh23wp17a
— Leslie Hawthorn (@lhawthorn) May 26, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- We just welcomed Packetbeat into the Elastic family!Read on to learn more about the future of all things Beats. Like the blog post? Try the demo!
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene. There's some cool news in this post about solving a 10+ year old bug in Lucene!
- We've also got the The Logstash Lines, our weekly Logstash update. Find out what's coming up in 1.5.1 and 1.6!
- For all the latest developments in Kibana, check out our Kurrently in series. This past edition contains kittens. There are no photos of the kittens included - epic fail! - but there's news about a ton of fixes and new features in progress, so we're still calling that a win.
- The Leap Second coming up on June 30th already ruining your day? We've got you covered with our post on how to ensure your Elasticsearch deployments stay happy and healthy, courtesy of Antonio Bonuccelli.
- Smart meters are cool, but advising an entire utility company about how to help their customers save energy is even cooler. Especially when it's powered by Elasticsearch. Read on to learn all about Opower's use case, plus you can also watch the interviews with their engineering team.
- Justin Lintz from the Chartbeat Engineering team shares details on their ELK cluster architecture, all the tools they use to make it sing and some Logstash scaling tips. Thanks for the excellent walk through, Justin!
- Shaker Islam from the Belly Engineering team has a ton of useful advice for folks using Elasticsearch and Ruby. Read on for his great tutorial!
@amy725 @dadoonet @elastic Thought you might like my mention of ELK here: http://t.co/zcw4DV0mHh :)
— Samuel Scott (@samueljscott) May 26, 2015
Slides and Videos
From last week's Barcelona Elastic Meetup
From last night's France Elastic Meetup
From the recent DevOps London Exchange Meetup
Where to find Us
Featured Meetup: On Tonight! (Don't let that tomorrow bit fool you. ;)
TOMORROW! @elastic is coming to talk about elasticsearch, logstash and kibana. Come get your #ELK learn on! http://t.co/QWsLu1hyZV
— San Antonio DevOps (@SADevOps) May 26, 2015
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
The .NET Community Austria Meetup will get together on June 11 to talk all about the ELK stack. RSVP now to save your seat.
- David Pilato will also give two talks at the web2day conference. Join him in Nantes from June 3-5.
- Our team will be hanging out in the exhibits hall at dotScale, which takes place in Paris June 8. Come say hello!
During @RivieraDEV 2015, @dadoonet will show us how to add @ElasticSearch to legacy applications in a blink ! https://t.co/SEQK4M9ZVe
— RivieraDEV (@RivieraDEV) May 5, 2015
Université Kibana et Elasticsearch @breizhcamp : http://t.co/ZRAomhneKC. Analyse de données temps réel avec la suite @elastic et Adelean.
— Lucian Precup (@lucianprecup) May 5, 2015
The Elastic team will be out in force at Berlin Buzzwords, including 3 talks, a booth on the show floor and a special conference meetup. You can register now for the conference and RSVP for our special meetup on June 3. Buzzwords runs May 31 - June 3. Bonus: meet the newest members of our team, Monica Sarbu and Tudor Golubenco of Packetbeat fame!
Join Mark Harwood for an expert level session at NoSQL Matters Dublin on Building Entity Centric Indexes. The conference takes place on June 4.
Please join all members of Elastic's team in Japan at LinuxCon Japan in Tokyo on June 3-5. We will have a booth in the exhibits hall and will be very happy to answer any questions you may have.
Technical Expert Aurélien Foucret of @SmileNederland talks about ElasticSearch at #MM15NL, more info: http://t.co/yTD0XQ5X4E
— Meet Magento NL (@mm15nl) May 20, 2015
GOTO Amsterdam Special Edition Meetup
Reg now: @elastic Netherlands Meetup will get together 17 June w/ talks from @rashidkpc & @Wikimedia dev Nik Everett http://t.co/Sh1R9u1sxR
— Leslie Hawthorn (@lhawthorn) May 27, 2015
- But wait, there's more! Join us at GOTO Amsterdam 2015 for a full track on Elasticsearch, featuring five talks on topics from Scaling your ELK Cluster to Securing it with Shield. The conference runs June 18-19, with the Elasticsearch track running all day on June 18.
- And even more! DevOps Days Amsterdam returns to the Pakhuis de Zwijger June 24-26. You can visit us at our booth or hear from Leslie Hawthorn on her latest DevOps and Culture topic, Fear of Failing Fast: How to Avoid Sabotaging Your Success. Rumor has it that the amazing BBQ will be reprised this year, so do not miss this one!
David Pilato and João Duarte will attend Devoxx Poland 2015 taking place June 22-25 in Krakow. Between the two of them, they'll deliver three talks:
- June 23 at 11:50 AM: David on Make Sense of Your Big Data
- June 24 at 3:10 PM: João on Why I Love Logstash and You Should Too
- June 25 at 1:30 PM: David and João host the Hands on Logstash Workshop
- For folks in Cardiff, Wales, your welcome to attend our Elasticsearch Meetup hosted at DjangoCon EU. Make sure to pop by the conference to say hello to Honza Kral in the hallway track. DjangoCon EU 2015 runs May 31 - June 5. The nifty meetup featured below takes place on June 4.
- Join us at Big Data Analytics London on June 16 for a seminar on How To Extract Value From Your Data and Create Dazzling Dashboards. The event takes place at the Hotel Russell.
South Wales Elasticsearchers: a meetup with a talk by Honza Král @HonzaKral, Elasticsearch developer: http://t.co/ZwUe3ln5VL All welcome.
— DjangoCon Europe (@DjangoConEurope) May 11, 2015
United States - East
- The Detroit Elastic User Group will hold its inaugural meeting tonight, May 27, where Peter Kim will talk about using the ELK stack to get visibility into your datap. Registration is closed but if you still want to attend ping the organizers via meetup.com and they'll see what they can do.
- The St. Louis Machine Learning and Data Science Meetup will get together on June 17 to talk Python and Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place.
- The Boston Elasticsearch Meetup will convene on June 18 to talk Elasticsearch & Fuzzy Matching. Register now to save your seat.
- Our team will be on the show floor to answer any questions you may have at Red Hat Summit 2015 slated for June 23-26 in Boston. Co-located with the event, check out Red Hat's Developer Conference DevNation, on June 21-15. Amongst the many great talks on offer at DevNation, our very own Robyn Bergeron will address The Democratization of DevOps.
United States - West
- The San Antonio DevOps Meetup will welcome 3 speakers from Elastic tonight, May 27. Register now to hear all about the ELK stack for DevOps, including how we eat our own ELK-food from Elastic's infrastructure team lead.
- The San Francisco MySQL Users Group will get together tonight, May 27, to hear all about operational visibility, powered by the ELK stack. Register now to save your place.
- On May 28, the Elasticsearch Dallas Fort Worth Meetup will convene to talk going into Production with Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place.
- The Kansas City Big Data Meetup will get together for a lunch and learn on Elasticsearch & Data Analysis on May 28. Register now to save your place. Lunch will be provided for attendees.
- Our team will be on the show floor at Hadoop Summit, which runs June 9-11 in San Jose, California. Stop by, say hello and learn all about our solutions to make Hadoop sing by using Elasticsearch.
- Join us at Monitorama 2015 in Portland, Oregon and catch a lightning demo from our very own Suyog Rao. Monitorama runs June 15-17.
On stage now: Rob Tice, Director at @knowint talking about complex modelling of rich text data in #elasticsearch pic.twitter.com/RqIho6753I
— elastic London (@elastic_london) May 26, 2015
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Paris - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Miami - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- New York - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- San Francisco - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- New York - June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- San Francisco- June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- San Francisco - June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - June 22, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - June 23, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Amsterdam - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Manchester - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Toronto - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)