This Week in Elastic: The True Story Behind Elasticsearch Storage Requirements
Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
Just analyzing some space data… no big deal @nasa @elastic @bethbeck #kibanainspace pic.twitter.com/4bBL4e7ogT
— Chris Cowan (@simianhacker) April 22, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene.
- We've also got the latest on Logstash, including details on work going into the 1.5 RC3 release.
- Curious about fixes and new features going into the Kibana 4.1 release? Read on: Kurrently in Kibana.
- Wondering about what servers you should buy when deploying your ELK clusters? System specs? Look no further than this excellent article, The True Story Behind Elasticsearch Storage Requirements, from Christian Dahlqvist and Peter Kim.
- Checking out Elasticsearch for the analytics backend for your e-commerce site? Thanks to Nikos Fertakis from the Skroutz engineering team, we've got some great tips and tricks on scaling up and out. Excellent walk through including how Skroutz migrated from their previous solution and how Elasticsearch's aggregations features allows them better serve their customers.
- Just getting started with the ELK stack for data analysis? Christopher Möller's excellent how to is a great resource for folks tired of unwieldy spreadsheets and includes easy to follow examples using data from Yahoo's historical stock database.
- Building a logging forensics platform using the ELK stack? Check out David Vassallo's excellent tutorial, complete with configs, before you get started. Looks like this article is the first in a series, so we'll be keeping an eye on David's blog for more!
- Curious about monitoring your network data using ELK? Mark Read authored a useful how to on getting your sFlow data into Logstash.
- Drupalista and Elasticsearch fan? Daniel Sipos recently authored a two part series on creating a Silex and Elasticsearch application for Drupal 7. Excellent walk through of integrating Drupal, Elasticsearch and Silex, including code samples.
Hosting #elasticsearch #Toronto meetup at the office tonight. Organizer Amit covers solving problems zero downtime✔️ pic.twitter.com/Szs51oqVJi
— Rangle.io Inc. (@rangleio) April 21, 2015
Slides and Videos
Alexander Reelsen explores Elasticsearch Under the Hood
Costin Leau's recent presentation from the Spark Summit East conference
From last week's Enterprise Search Warsaw Meetup
#Elasticsearch Query DSL: Not Just for Wizards. Webinar on 28/4, pres. by #Elastic wizard @clintongormley http://t.co/zADi2lZuvm
— Found by Elastic (@foundsays) April 22, 2015
Where to find Us
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
Samir Bennacer will take the stage at Voxxed Days Algiers to present An Introduction to the ELK Stack. This first ever conference takes place May 23, and Samir's talk is on for 2:00 PM.
. @devopswannabe and myself will also be at the Sydney #puppetcamp on the 23rd, answering all your #ELK + #elasticsearch + #puppet questions
— Mark Walkom (@warkolm) April 15, 2015
If you're attending the upcoming Open Stack Summit in Vancouver, make sure to catch the In Search of OpenStack Logs: A Hands-On Workshop session. OpenStack Summit runs May 18-22.
- The Copenhagen Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on May 6, with speakers from Tradeshift, Falcon Social and our very own Honza Kral and Luca Cavanna, Software Engineers at Elastic. Register now to save your seat!
- The Copenhagen .NET User Group will get together on May 12 to talk Serilog and Elasticsearch in .NET. Register now to save your seat.
- If you will be attending JAX Mainz, you can get a demo of ELK from our Solutions Architect team. They'll be hanging out with our partner, Inovex, at their booth. JAX Mainz runs April 20-24.
- The Open Source Data Center Conference returns to Berlin this year from April 21-23. Please join Pere Urbon, Logstash developer, for his presentation Scaling Logstash: A Collection of War Stories.
- Our partner firm, Trifork, has organized a Berlin GOTO Night with our very own Pere Urbon addressing Making Sense of Your Data. The GOTO Night takes place on May 13 and registration is free of charge.
- And because we know you can't get enough of Pere, check out his talk at the May Berlin DevOps Meetup on May 20, where he'll talk Scaling Logstash: A Collection of War Stories. Register now to save your seat.
- The Stuttgart Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on May 21 to talk Shield: Securing Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
Ruslan Zavacky will present on all things Elasticsearch at LatCraft's NoSQL and Data event on May 5. Register now to save your seat and get introduce to Elasticsearch!
Our partner firm, Comperio Search, will host a breakfast learning session on all things Elasticsearch on May 6. You'll hear from Elastic's Solutions Architect Christian Dahlqvist amongst other speakers. Attendance is free of charge, but registration is required.
Elasticsearch Jo'burg meetup 29 April at @JoziHub Elasticsearch is not just for search. Come explore with us! @elastic
— Jurgens du Toit (@jrgns) April 14, 2015
If you're heading to the Spring I/O Conference in Barcelona, make sure to catch Clinton Gormley's talk Scaling Real-Time Search and Analytics with Elasticsearch. The conference runs April 29-30.
- The London Elasticsearch Meetup will next convene on April 29 for casual drinks and Q&A with the Elastic developer team. Register now to let us know you're coming!
- The DevOps London Exchange meetup will welcome Richard Pijnenburg, creator of Elastic's Puppet Modules for Elasticsearch and Logstash, to talk using Puppet to setup and manage your Elasticsearch Prod/QA/Dev/Testing/Staging clusters. Register now to save your seat - at time of writing, there were only 6 left!
- Attending Strata + Hadoop World in London? Excellent, so are we! You can get your questions answered at Booth 408 in the exhibits hall, and make sure to catch Costin Leau on Search Evolved: Unraveling Your Data on Thursday, May 7 at 10:55 AM.
Not heading to Strata London? You can still see Costin speak!
We just announced the @elastic meetup around @strataconf London with our #Hadoop expert @costinl! Wed, May 6, 8pm. http://t.co/0q9ccQVx4C
— Livia Froelicher (@LivFroe) April 13, 2015
United States - East
United States - West
Just scheduled: next Chicago meetup coming up May 13 featuring speakers from @elastic @Orbitz RSVP: http://t.co/Z3lOlJiHg1
— Leslie Hawthorn (@lhawthorn) April 21, 2015
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Bangalore - April 27, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - April 28, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Tel Aviv - April 29, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Copenhagen - May 6, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Mountain View - May 12, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Denver - May 18, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Hamburg - May 19, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Herndon - May 19, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Vancouver - May 20, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Paris - May 26, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Miami - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - May 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Paris - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Sao Paulo - June 2, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Sao Paulo - June 3, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - June 22, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - June 23, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Toronto - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Chicago - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)