This Week in Elastic: Shield versions 1.2.1 and 1.1.1 released
Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
On today, May 6, at 9am PDT / 12pm EDT / 5pm BST / 6pm CEST
Join us tomorrow as we investigate Scaling #Elasticsearch w/ #Cassandra & #Spark in a .NET environment #webinar http://t.co/b8kSy0JEZR
— Jamie Turner (@PCAJamie) May 5, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene. (There's a very nice tidbit in there about how Elasticsearch powers the cloud analytics for the Mars Curiosity Rover, too!)
- We've also got the The Logstash Lines, our weekly Logstash update. Get some details on the 1.5 RC3 release, plans for RC4 and more!
- The Kibana team made some amazing improvements to the map visualization last week. Read on to learn about these and other updates in Kurrently in Kibana.
- Shield versions 1.2.1 and 1.1.1 were released last week. Check out the full details on this bug fix release, which includes a fix that ensure that Disk-based Shard Allocation works correctly on clusters secured by Shield.
- We had several plugin releases last week, including: ICU Analysis (v 2.4.3), Japanese (kuromoji) Analysis (v 2.4.3) Phonetic Analysis Plugin (v 2.4.3), Smart Chinese Analysis (v 2.4.4) and Stempel (Polish) Analysis (v 2.4.3). See the release notes for each plugin for full details. The releases bring these plugins to compatibility with Elasticsearch 1.4.5.
- Hot off the presses: Harlin Brandvold on how the OpenDNS engineering team uses the ELK stack for their log analysis needs. Looks like it's the first post in a series, so stay tuned to their blog for future installments.
- Mitchell Anicas shared a tutorial on mapping user location with GeoIP and the ELK stack. Excellent in-depth piece, and part four in a series. You can find all of Mitchell's previous tutorials linked from this one. Well worth a read!
Cool! @WishartLab's Polysearch2 is a text-mining system for biomedical research #Elasticsearch http://t.co/kOz5Y00tv9 pic.twitter.com/qsWuPsEgTs
— Zachary Tong (@ZacharyTong) May 5, 2015
Slides and Videos
From last week's meetup at LinkedIn HQ in Mountain View, California
Hacking on #opendata for Philly's new transit system – Indego Bike Share http://t.co/6MkIj8oi7k pic.twitter.com/6ryxtjHldS
— jamestyack (@jamestyack) April 26, 2015
Where to find Us
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
Samir Bennacer will take the stage at Voxxed Days Algiers to present An Introduction to the ELK Stack. This first ever conference takes place May 23, and Samir's talk is on for 2:00 PM.
The Melbourne Search Users Group will meet up on May 19 for a talk from Movideo: Migrating from Hibernate Search to Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat. We're pretty sure our very own Mark Walkom will be joining you, too!
If you're attending the upcoming Open Stack Summit in Vancouver, make sure to catch the In Search of OpenStack Logs: A Hands-On Workshop session. OpenStack Summit runs May 18-22.
- The Copenhagen Elasticsearch Meetup will get together tonight, May 6, with speakers from Tradeshift, Falcon Social and our very own Honza Kral and Luca Cavanna, Software Engineers at Elastic. Register now to save your seat!
- The Copenhagen .NET User Group will get together on May 12 to talk Serilog and Elasticsearch in .NET. Register now to save your seat.
The Elasticsearch France Meetup returns to Paris on May 26. Watch this space so you know when we open up RSVPs!
During @RivieraDEV 2015, @dadoonet will show us how to add @ElasticSearch to legacy applications in a blink ! https://t.co/SEQK4M9ZVe
— RivieraDEV (@RivieraDEV) May 5, 2015
- The Search Meetup Karlsruhe group will get together tomorrow night to with talks focused on all things Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- Our partner firm, Trifork, has organized a Berlin GOTO Night with our very own Pere Urbon addressing Making Sense of Your Data. The GOTO Night takes place on May 13 and registration is free of charge.
- And because we know you can't get enough of Pere, check out his talk at the May Berlin DevOps Meetup on May 20, where he'll talk Scaling Logstash: A Collection of War Stories. Register now to save your seat.
- The Stuttgart Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on May 21 to talk Shield: Securing Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- The Elastic team will be out in force at Berlin Buzzwords, including 3 talks, a booth on the show floor and a special conference meetup. Stay tuned for more details, but you can register now for the conference. The event runs May 31 - June 3.
We've got dueling meetups in Tel-Aviv Yafo on May 26:
- Israel AWS User Group: How to Use ELK to Monitor Large-Scale AWS Environments - RSVP
- Big things are happening hear meetup: Geo Data analytics & Real-world use cases for Elasticsearch - RSVP
Johan Guldmyr will host a talk on dCache and the ELK stack at the 9th Annual dCache Workshop at 2:20 PM on May 19. The Workshop runs May 18-20 in Amsterdam.
- Attending Strata + Hadoop World in London? Excellent, so are we! You can get your questions answered at Booth 408 in the exhibits hall, and make sure to catch Costin Leau on Search Evolved: Unraveling Your Data on Thursday, May 7 at 10:55 AM.
Not heading to Strata London? You can still see Costin speak!
We just announced the @elastic meetup around @strataconf London with our #Hadoop expert @costinl! Wed, May 6, 8pm. http://t.co/0q9ccQVx4C
— Livia Froelicher (@LivFroe) April 13, 2015
For folks in Cardiff, Wales, your welcome to attend our Elasticsearch Meetup hosted at DjangoCon EU. Make sure to pop by the conference to say hello to Honza Kral in the hallway track. DjangoCon EU 2015 runs May 31 - June 5.
United States - East
United States - West
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Mountain View - May 12, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Paris - May 8, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Mountain View - May 15, 2015 (Elasticsearch Operations - new course)
- Denver - May 18, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Southwest Washington DC - May 19, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Vancouver - May 20, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - May 25, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Paris - May 26, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - May 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Miami - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Paris - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Sao Paulo - June 2, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Sao Paulo - June 3, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- New York - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- San Francisco - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- New York - June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- San Francisco- June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - June 22, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - June 23, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Toronto - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Chicago - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)