This Week in Elastic: Watcher Beta goes public
Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
We think you're pretty darn nifty, too, Nick!
Proud to have my second PR into Elasticsearch. Minor changes, but the @elastic community has been great and makes me want to contribute more
— Nick Canzoneri (@nick_canz) May 20, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene. Includes a pointer to Mike McCandless' latest work on bug hunting in Lucene - a great read!
- We've also got the The Logstash Lines, our weekly Logstash update. All about 1.5 GA!
- Aaron Mildenstein teaches you all about how to check Logstash's pulse, a.k.a. using our brand new Logstash heartbeat plugin.
- Christoffer Vig has shared the first article in a tutorial series, Analyzing Weblogs with Elasticsearch in the Cloud. All about using Logstash and Kibana on the Found by Elastic service.
- Our friends over at Predikto have penned a post on using Elasticsearch, Apache Spark and es-hadoop to gain insights into the world of IoT data. Excellent overview, with insights into keeping costs low when running on AWS.
- Fan of consul.io? Turns out, consul will be of great help in herding your ELK clusters. Read more on the DevOps is Common Sense blog.
- Ash Powell from thetrainline.com shares how the ELK stack powers their centralized logging infrastructure. Stay tuned to hear how they head to the cloud, scale up and out, and more!
Just announced: #elasticwatcher Beta (alerting for #elasticsearch) goes public. Try it today! http://t.co/tNmbKe3KC8 pic.twitter.com/V7gRYQKXDl
— elastic (@elastic) May 20, 2015
Slides and Videos
Alexander Reelsen's recent presentation from Craft Conference 2015 in Budapest
Slides from my talk at @MelbourneSearch on Migrating from Hibernate Search to Elasticsearch https://t.co/0JnoXG7jAv
— Christian Strzadala (@cstrzadala) May 19, 2015
Slides from my @elastic #Elasticsearch, Logstash & Kibana talk at @rittmanmead #BIForum2015 last week: http://t.co/fxLt5zXKSM
— Robin Moffatt (@rmoff) May 11, 2015
Where to find Us
Featured Meetup: On Tonight!
On tonight at 7 PM: @elastic LAX meetup (Venice, CA) on logging AWS Cloudwatch & Cloudtrail data. RSVP now: http://t.co/apHaXVLEAc
— Leslie Hawthorn (@lhawthorn) May 20, 2015
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
Samir Bennacer will take the stage at Voxxed Days Algiers to present An Introduction to the ELK Stack. This first ever conference takes place May 23, and Samir's talk is on for 2:00 PM.
The .NET Community Austria Meetup will get together on June 11 to talk all about the ELK stack. RSVP now to save your seat.
- If you're attending the upcoming Open Stack Summit in Vancouver, make sure to catch the In Search of OpenStack Logs: A Hands-On Workshop session. You can also join Robyn Bergeron, our Operations Advocate, at our ELK Crossing BoF session, on this very afternoon. OpenStack Summit runs May 18-22.
- Two engineers from Elastic, Areek Zillur and Suyog Rao, will be speaking at tonight's Polyglot Vancouver meetup. There's still more than 50 seats left, so let's get this meetup up to 200 cool humans! RSVP here to attend.
- Rumor has it that Suyog will also be attending this week's Polyglot Unconference in Vancouver, which takes place May 22-23. Join him and propose an unconference session, or just enjoy the workshops.
- David Pilato will visit the Toulouse JUG tomorrow to talk about all things Elasticsearch. You can still register now to attend his talk on the evening of May 21.
- The Elasticsearch France Meetup returns to Paris on May 26. Watch this event page to see if space opens on the waitlist!
- David will also give two talks at the web2day conference. Join him in Nantes from June 3-5.
- Our team will be hanging out in the exhibits hall at dotScale, which takes place in Paris June 8. Come say hello!
During @RivieraDEV 2015, @dadoonet will show us how to add @ElasticSearch to legacy applications in a blink ! https://t.co/SEQK4M9ZVe
— RivieraDEV (@RivieraDEV) May 5, 2015
- Check out Pere Urbon's talk tonight at the May Berlin DevOps Meetup, where he'll talk Scaling Logstash: A Collection of War Stories. Register now to save your seat.
- The Stuttgart Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on May 21 to talk Shield: Securing Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
- The Elastic team will be out in force at Berlin Buzzwords, including 3 talks, a booth on the show floor and a special conference meetup. You can register now for the conference and RSVP for our special meetup on June 3. Buzzwords runs May 31 - June 3.
Join Mark Harwood for an expert level session at NoSQL Matters Dublin on Building Entity Centric Indexes. The conference takes place on June 4.
We've got dueling meetups in Tel-Aviv Yafo on May 26:
- Israel AWS User Group: How to Use ELK to Monitor Large-Scale AWS Environments - RSVP
- Big things are happening hear meetup: Geo Data analytics & Real-world use cases for Elasticsearch - RSVP
Please join all members of Elastic's team in Japan at LinuxCon Japan in Tokyo on June 3-5. We will have a booth in the exhibits hall and will be very happy to answer any questions you may have.
Technical Expert Aurélien Foucret of @SmileNederland talks about ElasticSearch at #MM15NL, more info: http://t.co/yTD0XQ5X4E
— Meet Magento NL (@mm15nl) May 20, 2015
Honza Kral will take the stage at 6:30 PM on May 26 to talk Beyond the Basics with Elasticsearch at the PyWaw Summit. The event runs May 25-26 in Warsaw. (PS - We've also heard a rumor that the organizers will be offering Schema-Free beer on Elastic. Raise a glass with Honza if we're right!)
The Stockholm Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on May 27 to hear about two use cases. RSVP now to save your seat.
The Elasticsearch Zurich Meetup group will convene on May 27 to hear about Elastic's security product, Shield. RSVP here to attend.
- We are full up for the May London Elastic Meetup on May 26, but you can join the waitlist. We're hoping some space frees up! (Even if that doesn't work out, we'll have another London meetup coming soon.)
- For folks in Cardiff, Wales, your welcome to attend our Elasticsearch Meetup hosted at DjangoCon EU. Make sure to pop by the conference to say hello to Honza Kral in the hallway track. DjangoCon EU 2015 runs May 31 - June 5. The nifty meetup featured below takes place on June 4.
South Wales Elasticsearchers: a meetup with a talk by Honza Král @HonzaKral, Elasticsearch developer: http://t.co/ZwUe3ln5VL All welcome.
— DjangoCon Europe (@DjangoConEurope) May 11, 2015
United States - East
- The Detroit Elastic User Group will hold its inaugural meeting on May 27, where Peter Kim will reprise his talk from the DevOps and Automation New Jersey Meetup. Register now to save your seat.
United States - West
- Heading to Gluecon? Great, so are we! You can visit us in the exhibits hall to get questions answered throughout the conference, and make sure to check our Aaron Mildenstein's talk: An Introduction to the ELK stack. Gluecon runs May 20-21 in Broomfield, Colorado.
- The San Antonio DevOps Meetup will welcome 3 speakers from Elastic on May 27. Register now to hear all about the ELK stack for DevOps, including how we eat our own ELK-food from Elastic's infrastructure team lead.
- The San Francisco MySQL Users Group will get together on May 27 to hear all about operational visibility, powered by the ELK stack. Register now to save your place.
- On May 28, the Elasticsearch Dallas Fort Worth Meetup will convene to talk going into Production with Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place.
- The Kansas City Big Data Meetup will get together for a lunch and learn on Elasticsearch & Data Analysis on May 28. Register now to save your place. Lunch will be provided for attendees.
- Our team will be on the show floor at Hadoop Summit, which runs June 9-11 in San Jose, California. Stop by, say hello and learn all about our solutions to make Hadoop sing by using Elasticsearch.
The Elastic family: Big data search, discovery and analytics (p 20-22) - by Christoffer Vig @babadofar http://t.co/9As91C9SUQ #Elasticsearch
— Found by Elastic (@foundsays) May 18, 2015
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Bangalore - May 25, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - May 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Paris - May 26, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Paris - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Miami - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- New York - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- San Francisco - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- New York - June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- San Francisco- June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- New York- June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations - New Course)
- San Francisco - June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - June 22, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - June 23, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Amsterdam - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Manchester - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Toronto - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)