This Week in Elastic: Elasticsearch for Apache Hadoop 2.1 RC1 released
Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
Rivers have been removed in #elasticsearch code base. Time to switch to other ETL guys! Try #logstash for example! https://t.co/JOF7BLZcjz
— David Pilato (@dadoonet) June 17, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
- We just released Elasticsearch for Apache Hadoop 2.1 RC1, including full push-down support for Spark SQL and some security improvements. Check out the release blog post for all the details!
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene. Some of this week's highlights include progress on debugging IBM's J9 JVM.
- We've also got the The Logstash Lines, our weekly Logstash update. We really want your feedback on the JDBC input plugin, which replaces the deprecated JDBC river. Read on to learn more!
- We also released Logstash 1.5.1 this week, a bug fix release. Check out the release blog post for full information.
- Search Technologies, an Elastic partner has released Aspire for Elasticsearch. Aspire is a content access and processing framework specifically designed for unstructured data. Read more in their guest blog post.
- LeadBoxer, a startup in our Amsterdam hometown providing qualified leads via real-time signals, based on proprietary customisable lead scoring technology to 1000s of B2B clients, shared the story of their development journey. Check it out to learn all about how they moved from MySQL to Cassandra, chose Elasticsearch over Solr, and more!
- Dimitris Ganosis shared a video tutorial on using the ELK stack, complete with links to a sample data set and the Logstash config files. Enjoy!
- Scott Piper authored an in-depth walk through, including code snippets, on securely shipping Windows Events using NXLog from a Windows system to a remote Heka server, then analyzing them using Elasticsearch and visualizing in Kibana.
- opensource.com recently interviewed Robyn Bergeron, our Operations Advocate, on her upcoming talk at the DevNation Conference. Within, you'll learn more about how the ELK stack can empower DevOps teams, plus how the DevOps philosophy helps teams collaborate faster, better and stronger. A useful and amusing read for anyone whose (pointy haired) boss ever told them to go buy them the DevOps, and stat!
- Michael Lussier treated us to an Introduction to Elasticsearch's Percolator. Everything you ever wanted to know about 'Search in Reverse'.
- Enjoy our news round up? We have even more cool (and different!) how tos on offer in our weekly developer newsletter, Elastic's Thing a Week. Subscribers also receive the invitation to attend our Developer Hangouts live. If you'd like to subscribe - and it's all we'll send you unless you ask for more - just fill out this handy form.
Getting started w/#Elasticsearch? Join @ZacharyTong on June 24 for an in-depth webinar & Q&A http://t.co/CaZZMlJRTz pic.twitter.com/lXDNhytWny
— elastic (@elastic) June 15, 2015
Slides and Videos
For all you Apache Hadoop lovers out there, Elasticsearch <3s MapR-DB
An introduction to Elasticsearch for Apache Hadoop from yesterday's Elastic Silicon Valley Meetup
Our first ever Developer Hangout: Aaron Mildenstein on Logstash and the Path from Open Source Contributor to Full-Time Employee
An introduction to Elasticsearch (日本語で)
We're a global community, dontcha know. Check out this slide deck in West-Vlaams, a Flemish dialect
Where to find Us
.@elasticmark and @metoffice getting ready to show off some "dazzling dashboards" at #wmbda - join us upstairs! pic.twitter.com/SbVMnqOnky
— elastic (@elastic) June 16, 2015
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
Our team will be in the exhibits hall at DevOps Days Melbourne, on July 16 & 17. We're also proposing an open space on the ELK Stack, so perhaps we'll see you in the open space zone, too.
Join the Lenguajes dinámicos meetup group in Santiago on June 24 to talk Elasticsearch and Ruby. Register now to save your seat.
- We have the 3rd Elastic France meetup coming up in Lyon on June 23. Register now to save your seat.
- Join the Orléans Tech Talks meetup on June 25 to hear about Elasticsearch, plus Domain Driven Design. Register now to save your seat.
- Join David Pilato for two talks at JDEV 2015 in Bordeaux. The conference runs June 30-July 3.
- The Paris Couchbase Meetup will convene on June 30 to talk Elastic, Couchbase, Kibana 4 and more. Register now to save your seat.
Join our team at Java Forum Stuttgart on July 19. They'll be on the show floor to answer all of your questions.
- The Big Data Analytics on Cloud Meetup in Hyderabad will host a free workshop on Elasticsearch on June 20. Register now to attend the workshop.
- The Delhi Elastic Meetup will get together on June 28. They're also looking for speakers. RSVP and contact the organizer via meetup.com.
Join the community in Reggio Emilia for the FazLab Fest! On this Saturday, June 20 - a full day's talk on the Elastic platform and related technologies. More details on registration are on meetup.com.
GOTO Amsterdam Special Edition Meetup
Reg now: @elastic Netherlands Meetup will get together 17 June w/ talks from @rashidkpc & @Wikimedia dev Nik Everett http://t.co/Sh1R9u1sxR
— Leslie Hawthorn (@lhawthorn) May 27, 2015
- But wait, there's more! Join us at GOTO Amsterdam 2015 for a full track on Elasticsearch, featuring five talks on topics from Scaling your ELK Cluster to Securing it with Shield. The conference runs June 18-19, with the Elasticsearch track running all day on June 18.
- And even more! DevOps Days Amsterdam returns to the Pakhuis de Zwijger June 24-26. You can visit us at our booth or hear from Leslie Hawthorn on her latest DevOps and Culture topic, Fear of Failing Fast: How to Avoid Sabotaging Your Success. Rumor has it that the amazing BBQ will be reprised this year, so do not miss this one!
The next meeting of the Elasticsearch ELK NZ meetup is coming to Wellington on June 30. We're still lining up the agenda, but for now RSVP to save your seat.
- June 23 at 11:50 AM: David on Make Sense of Your Big Data
- June 24 at 3:10 PM: João on Why I Love Logstash and You Should Too
- June 25 at 1:30 PM: David and João host the Hands on Logstash Workshop
- The Madrid Java User Group & the Madrid MongoDB User Group are co-hosting a meetup on June 24 to talk Elasticsearch, AngularJS, MongoDB and more. Register now to join them.
- The Madrid Open Analytics Meetup will get together on June 25 to talk big data before your holidays, including Elasticsearch. Register now to join them. (No holiday included, but definitely great knowledge sharing.)
The Taipei D3.js meetup will convene on June 18,including a lightning talk on Elasticsearch and Kibana. Register now to attend.
The L'viv DevOps Meetup will get together on June 27 for CoreOS Fest Conference review, featuring a CoreOS with Kubernetes demo: ElasticSearch Cluster on local machine and AWS. Register now to save your seat.
Can't join the meetup? No worries. The fine folks organizing the meetup have set up a livestream. Stay tuned here to watch live!
United States - East
- The Elasticsearch Boston Meetup will get together on June 18 to talk Elasticsearch and Fuzzy Matching. Register now to save your seat.
- The DevOps Cleveland Meetup will get Into the Weeds with Elasticsearch on June 18. Register now to join for the talk.
- The Open Science Barn Raising group from Charlottesville, VA, will convene a hackfest hosted by the Center for Open Science on June 20-21. Amongst the many tools you'll be using at the hackfest, Elasticsearch is on offer. Register now to participate. For science!
- Join the Elastic team in the exhibits hall at the GEOINT 2015 Symposium, on June 22-25 in Washington, DC. We'll have cool goodies and knowledge on offer.
- Our team will be on the show floor to answer any questions you may have at Red Hat Summit 2015 slated for June 23-26 in Boston. Co-located with the event, check out Red Hat's Developer Conference DevNation, on June 21-15. Amongst the many great talks on offer at DevNation, our very own Robyn Bergeron will address The Democratization of DevOps.
- The Elastic DC Meetup will get together on June 25 to talk Elasticsearch and Fuzzy Matching. Register now to save your place,
- The RubyJax Meetup in Jacksonville, Florida, will get together on July 9 to talk Elasticsearch. Register now to enjoy this subject matter and a few other talks.
- Heading to the Codestock 2015 Conference? Join our Developer Advocate, Shaunak Kashyap in the hallway track. Codestock runs July 10-11 in Nashville.
United States - West
- The Elastic LAX Meetup group will convene on June 24 to talk about the ELK stack. They're also looking for a venue host and presenters, so get in touch! You can RSVP and talk to the group organizers via meetup.com.
- The Elastic Dallas Fort Worth Meetup will get together on June 25 for an Introduction to Elasticsearch, which will include both a presentation and interactive learning / hands-on component. Register now to save your seat. (Plus, while you are there, congratulate the community organizers, Charith Tangirala and Jason Gaylon, on getting the group to 100 participants!)
- The Meteor South Bay Meetup will be co-hosting their next meeting with the Elastic Silicon Valley Meetup at Elastic's Mountain View offices. Join us on June 30 to hear all about using Elasticsearch with Meteor.js.
- The Seattle University Web Developer Meetup will convene on July 14 to talk KnockoutJS and Elasticsearch. Register now to save your place.
- The OpenLate @ OpenDNS Meetup will get together in San Francisco on July 14 to talk Elasticsearch for SQL Users. Our awesome Developer Advocate, Shaunak Kashyap, will be the invited speaker. Register now to save your seat.
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Bangalore - June 22, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - June 23, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Berlin - July 1, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Wellington - July 1, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Beriin - July 2, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Wellington - July 2, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Sydney - July 6, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Sydney - July 7, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations)
- Sydney - July 8, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Zurich - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Reston, VA - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations)
- Dallas - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Stockholm - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Reston, VA - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations)
- Dallas - July 14, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Reston, VA - July 15, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Los Angeles - July 16, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Mountain View - July 20, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Mountain View - July 21, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch Operations)
- Mountain View - July 22, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Portland, OR - July 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Mountain View - July 24, 2015 (Kibana Workshop)
- Bangalore - July 27, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- London - July 28, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - July 28, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- London - July 29, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - August 24, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - August 25, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)