This functionality is in beta and is subject to change. The design and code is less mature than official GA features and is being provided as-is with no warranties. Beta features are not subject to the support SLA of official GA features.
An Elasticsearch cluster and Kibana (version 7.2 or later) with a basic license. See Getting started with the Elastic Stack.
- Beats shippers (version 7.x or later) installed for each system you want to monitor
You might need to modify UI settings in Kibana to change default behaviors, such as the index pattern used to query the data. For more information, see Kibana.
Install Beats shippersedit
To populate the SIEM app with hosts and network security events, you need to install and configure Beats on the systems from which you want to ingest security events:
SIEM also works with custom and third-party data sources in addition to those supported by Beats. Elastic Common Schema (ECS) makes this possible.
You can install Beats using a Kibana-based guide or directly from the command line.
Install Beats using the Kibana-based guideedit
Follow the instructions in the Add Data section of the Kibana home page. Click Add log data or Add metrics, and follow the links for the types of data you want to collect.
Download and install Beats from the command lineedit
If your data source isn’t in the list, or you want to install Beats the old fashioned way:
- Filebeat and Filebeat modules. See the Filebeat modules quick start and enable modules for the events you want to collect. If there is no module for the events you want to collect, see the Filebeat getting started to learn how to configure inputs.
- Auditbeat. See Auditbeat getting started.
- Winlogbeat. See Winlogbeat getting started.
- Packetbeat. See Packetbeat getting started.
Enable modules and configuration optionsedit
For either approach, you need to enable modules in Auditbeat and Filebeat to populate the SIEM app with data.
To populate Hosts data, enable these Auditbeat modules:
To populate Network data, enable these Filebeat modules: