Review the following information about the Kibana 8.7.0 release.
Observability Overview shows empty User Experience panel
Release 8.7.0 has a bug causing the Observability Overview page to show an empty User Experience panel, even when there is RUM data (fixed in #154419).
While the User Experience panel on the Observability Overview page is empty, any RUM data will still be available from the User Experience Dashboard.
Breaking changes can prevent your application from optimal operation and performance. Before you upgrade to 8.7.0, review the breaking changes, then mitigate the impact to your application.
Removes the fields list sampling setting
lens:useFieldExistenceSampling has been removed from Advanced Settings. The setting allowed you to enable document sampling to determine the fields that are displayed in Lens. For more information, refer to #149482.
In 8.1.0 and later, Kibana uses the field caps API, by default, to determine the fields that are displayed in Lens.
Removes the legacy pie chart visualization setting
visualization:visualize:legacyPieChartsLibrary has been removed from Advanced Settings. The setting allowed you to create aggregation-based pie chart visualizations using the legacy charts library. For more information, refer to #146990.
In 7.14.0 and later, the new aggregation-based pie chart visualization is available by default. For more information, check Aggregation-based.
Removes the current_upgrades endpoint
api/fleet/current_upgrades endpoint has been removed. For more information, refer to #147616.
When you upgrade to 8.7.0, use the
Removes the preconfiguration API route
/api/fleet/setup/preconfiguration API, which was released as generally available by error, has been removed. For more information, refer to #147199.
Do not use
/api/fleet/setup/preconfiguration. To manage preconfigured agent policies, use kibana.yml. For more information, check Preconfigured settings.
To review the breaking changes in previous versions, refer to the following:
Kibana 8.7.0 adds the following new and notable features.
- Alerts Table- Inspect Modal #149586
- Updates Rule Action Form to add Summary UX #149367
- Users can now search for Cases by ID #149233
- Alerts table row loading state #148874
- Adds default summary message #148749
- AlertsTable - Add persistent controls that show even on empty state #148735
- Connector logs view #148291
- Make action retries configurable #147876
- Adds summary capabilities to the API and execution logic #147360
- Adds flapping state to alert context for action parameters #147136
- Adds triggered actions list in task state #146183
- Moves “Notify When” and throttle from rule to action #145637
- Increases maxTraceItems #149062
- Disables navigation to _other bucket and show warning tooltip #148641
- Show warning if transaction groups are dropped #148625
- Show alert indicator on alerts tab #148048
- Adds latency alert history chart on the Alert details page for APM #148011
- Adds alert annotation and threshold shade on the APM latency chart on the Alert Details page #147848
- Errors group sampler #147571
- Show alert indicator on service inventory page #147511
- Adds alertDetailAppSection to the APM Rule Details page #143298
- Adds the ability to load more options list suggestions when you scroll #148331
- Adds alert filters to the Detection page #146989
- Adds the image embeddable #146421
- Adds the "Convert to lens" action to Dashboard #146363
- Adds a step size to the time slider control #145033
- Adds the ability to sort the options list suggestions #144867
- Elastic Security
- For the Elastic Security 8.7.0 release information, refer to Elastic Security Solution Release Notes.
- Enterprise Search
- For the Elastic Enterprise Search 8.7.0 release information, refer to Elastic Enterprise Search Documentation Release notes.
- Adds ability to show FQDN of agents #150239
getStatusSummaryquery parameter to
GET /api/fleet/agentsAPI #149963
- Enabling diagnostics feature flag and changed query for files to use upload_id #149575
- Experimental toggles for doc-value-only #149131
- We now display agent metrics, CPU and memory in the agent list table and agent details page #149119
- Implement subcategories in integrations UI #148894
- Added rollout period to upgrade action #148240
- Adds per-policy inactivity timeout + use runtime fields for agent status #147552
- Show dataset combo box for input packages #147015
- Adds UI controls to setting/outputs to configure new shipper #145755
- Adds link to ingest pipeline dashboard from Stack Monitoring #149721
- Kibana Home & Add Data
- Self-managed Kibana instances now have a link to instructions for migrating self-managed clusters to Elastic Cloud #145523
- Lens & Visualizations
- Adds the share link feature in Lens #148829
- Machine Learning
- Adds change point detection feature #150308
- Remove Technical Preview label from the Trained Models UI #149715
- Adds a new memory usage by job and by model view #149419
- Allow Anomaly Detection geo jobs to be created from maps dashboard #147797
- Adds geo fields support for Unified field list, add statistics flyover to Anomaly detection job creation wizards #147322
- Anomaly Detection wizards: adds geo job wizard #147043
- Adds duration configuration to Stack Monitoring Cluster Health rule #147565
- Adds alert summary widget to overview page #149581
- Adds AlertSummaryWidget full-size on the Alerts page #148539
- Additional context for log threshold rule #148503
- Adds charts to Alert Summary Widget #148143
- Adds rule details locator and make AlertSummaryWidget clickable #147103
- Adds groupByKeys context to recovered alerts for Log Threshold Rule and Metric Threshold Rule #146874
- Adds new context variable called groupByKeys #146633
- Adds new context variable for group by keys #145654
- Adds Platinum license check for SLO APIs and SLO pages #149055
- Create SLO / Edit SLO Form - Custom KQL #147843
- SLO List #147447
- New trigger actions for chart legends and table cell actions #146779
- Querying & Filtering
For more information about the features introduced in 8.7.0, refer to What’s new in 8.7.