Plugins extend the core functionality of Elasticsearch. Elastic Cloud Enterprise makes it easy to add plugins to your deployment by providing a number of plugins that work with your version of Elasticsearch. One advantage of these plugins is that you generally don’t have to worry about upgrading plugins when upgrading to a new Elasticsearch version, unless there are breaking changes. The plugins simply are upgraded along with the rest of your deployment.
Adding plugins to a deployment is as simple as selecting it from the list of available plugins, but different versions of Elasticsearch support different plugins. Plugins are available for different purposes, such as:
- National language support, phonetic analysis, and extended unicode support
- Ingesting attachments in common formats and ingesting information about the geographic location of IP addresses
- Adding new field datatypes to Elasticsearch
- Support for additional snapshot repositories from Google and Microsoft
Additional plugins might be available. If a plugin is listed for your version of Elasticsearch, it can be used.
To add plugins when creating a new deployment:
- Log into the Cloud UI and click Create deployment.
- Make your initial deployment selections, then click Customize Deployment.
- Beneath the Elasticsearch master node, expand the Manage plugins and settings caret.
- Select the plugins you want.
- Click Create deployment.
The deployment spins up with the plugins installed.
To add plugins to an existing deployment:
- Log into the Cloud UI.
On the Deployments page, select your deployment.
Narrow the list by name, ID, or choose from several other filters. To further define the list, use a combination of filters.
- From your deployment menu, go to the Edit page.
- Beneath the Elasticsearch master node, expand the Advanced Elasticsearch caret.
- Select the plugins that you want.
- Click Save changes.
There is no downtime when adding plugins. The deployment is updated with new nodes that have the plugins installed.
Intro to Kibana
ELK for Logs & Metrics