This functionality is in beta and is subject to change. The design and code is less mature than official GA features and is being provided as-is with no warranties. Beta features are not subject to the support SLA of official GA features.
You need to enroll Beats to register them in central management and establish trust. Enrolled Beats will have the credentials needed to retrieve configurations from Kibana.
During the enrollment process:
- The Beat contacts Kibana and tries to register
- Kibana registers the Beat instance and returns an access token for configuration polling
- The enroll command creates a backup of your configuration and then overwrites the current settings so they can be managed centrally
Verify that your Elastic license includes the Beats central management feature.
Don’t have a license? You can start a 30-day trial. At the end of the trial period, you can purchase a subscription to keep using central management. For more information, see https://www.elastic.co/subscriptions and License Management.
- Enable security in Kibana to ensure that only users with sufficient privileges are able to access Beats configurations.
beats_adminrole to any users who need to enroll Beats or manage configuration settings in central management.
- If you plan to use the sample Kibana dashboards provided with Metricbeat, load the dashboards before enrolling the Beat.
Token-based enrollment is recommended if you are enrolling Beats manually.
To use token-based enrollment, go to Kibana → Management → Beats and click
Enroll Beat. Select the Beat type and operating system, then copy and run the
command for enrolling the Beat.
The command has this format:
metricbeat enroll KIBANA_URL TOKEN
- The URL of the Kibana instance you will use for central management.
- The enrollment token generated by the Central Management UI. The enrollment token will expire as soon as it’s used.
Repeat this process to enroll additional Beats.
Username and password-based enrollmentedit
You can also enroll by specifying a username and password. This is the recommended way for scripted deploys:
metricbeat enroll KIBANA_URL --username USER --password METHOD [--force]
The username to use for password-based enrollment. The default
The method to use for getting the password. Available options are:
env:VAR_NAMEgets the password from the environment variable
stdinprompts the user for a password. This is the default.
- Overwrites the current settings without asking for confirmation.