WARNING: Version 4.5 of Kibana has passed its EOL date.
This documentation is no longer being maintained and may be removed. If you are running this version, we strongly advise you to upgrade. For the latest information, see the current release documentation.
Your existing Kibana version is generally compatible with the next minor version release of Elasticsearch. This means you should upgrade your Elasticsearch cluster(s) before or at the same time as Kibana. We cannot guarantee compatibility between major version releases so in those cases both Elasticsearch and Kibana must be upgraded together.
To upgrade Kibana:
Create a snapshot
of the existing
Back up the
Take note of the Kibana plugins that are installed:
bin/kibana plugin --liston 4.x versions of Kibana.
bin/kibana-plugin liston 5.x versions of Kibana.
To upgrade from an Archive File:
- Extract the new version of Kibana into a different directory. See steps below.
- Migrate any custom configuration from your old kibana.yml to your new one
- Follow other steps below to complete the new installation.
- Once the new version is fully configured and working with required plugins, remove the previous version of Kibana
To upgrade using a Linux Package Manager:
Uninstall the existing Kibana package:
apt-get remove kibanaor
yum remove kibana
- Install the new Kibana package. There have been some installer issues between various version of Kibana so the uninstall and install process is safer than an upgrade.
- Uninstall the existing Kibana package: