Elasticsearch includes the following built-in ILM policies:
The Elastic Agent uses these policies to manage backing indices for its data streams. This tutorial shows you how to use Kibana’s Index Lifecycle Policies to customize these policies based on your application’s performance, resilience, and retention requirements.
You want to send log files to an Elasticsearch cluster so you can visualize and analyze the data. This data has the following retention requirements:
- When the write index reaches 50GB or is 30 days old, roll over to a new index.
- After rollover, keep indices in the hot data tier for 30 days.
30 days after rollover:
- Delete indices 90 days after rollover.
To complete this tutorial, you’ll need:
An Elasticsearch cluster with hot and warm data tiers.
Elasticsearch Service: Elastic Stack deployments on the Elasticsearch Service include a hot tier by default. To add a warm tier, edit your deployment and click Add capacity for the warm data tier.
Self-managed cluster: Assign
data_warmroles to nodes as described in Data tiers.
For example, include the
data_warmnode role in the
elasticsearch.ymlfile of each node in the warm tier:
node.roles: [ "data_warm" ]
- A host with the Elastic Agent installed and configured to send logs to your Elasticsearch cluster.
View the policyedit
The Elastic Agent uses data streams with an index pattern of
logs-*-* to store log
monitoring data. The built-in
logs ILM policy automatically manages
backing indices for these data streams.
To view the
logs policy in Kibana:
- Open the menu and go to Stack Management > Index Lifecycle Policies.
logs policy uses the recommended rollover defaults: Start writing to a new
index when the current write index reaches 50GB or becomes 30 days old.
To view or change the rollover settings, click Advanced settings for the hot phase. Then disable Use recommended defaults to display the rollover settings.
Modify the policyedit
logs policy is designed to prevent the creation of many tiny daily
indices. You can modify the policy to meet your performance requirements and
manage resource usage.
Activate the warm phase and click Advanced settings.
- Disable Move to warm phase on rollover. Set Timing for warm phase to 30 days from rollover.
- Enable Set replicas and change Number of replicas to 1.
- Enable Force merge data and set Number of segments to 1.
Activate the delete phase and set Timing for delete phase to 90 days from rollover.
- Click Save Policy.