Painless is a simple, secure scripting language designed specifically for use with Elasticsearch. It is the default scripting language for Elasticsearch and can safely be used for inline and stored scripts. For a detailed description of the Painless syntax and language features, see the Painless Language Specification.
- Fast performance: Painless scripts run several times faster than the alternatives.
- Safety: Fine-grained whitelist with method call/field granularity. See the Painless API Reference for a complete list of available classes and methods.
- Optional typing: Variables and parameters can use explicit types or the
- Syntax: Extends Java’s syntax to provide Groovy-style scripting language features that make scripts easier to write.
- Optimizations: Designed specifically for Elasticsearch scripting.