NOTE: You are looking at documentation for an older release. For the latest information, see the current release documentation.
Before modifying configuration settings, make sure you’ve completed the configuration steps in the Getting Started. This section describes some common use cases for changing configuration options.
To configure Metricbeat, you edit the configuration file. For rpm and deb,
you’ll find the configuration file at
There’s also a full example configuration file at
/etc/metricbeat/metricbeat.reference.yml that shows all non-deprecated
options. For mac and win, look in the archive that you extracted.
Starting with Metricbeat 6.5, you can define and manage Metricbeat configurations in a central location in Kibana. For more information, see Beats central management.
The following topics describe how to configure Metricbeat:
- Specify which modules to run
- Specify general settings
- Load external configuration files
- Configure the internal queue
- Configure the output
- Set up index lifecycle management
- Specify SSL settings
- Filter and enhance the exported data
- Parse data by using ingest node
- Enrich events with geoIP information
- Set up project paths
- Set up the Kibana endpoint
- Load the Kibana dashboards
- Load the Elasticsearch index template
- Configure logging
- Use environment variables in the configuration
- YAML tips and gotchas
- Regular expression support
- HTTP Endpoint