This Week in Elastic: ICYMI: Elasticsearch 1.5.2 and 1.4.5 were released
Welcome to This Week in Elastic! In this weekly round up post, we bring you news on all aspects of the ELK Stack, including updates on Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana development, tips and tricks and upcoming events.
Awesome: Maptimize demo, attributes last 1M tweets around the world. http://t.co/LRIh0E3WUd #BigData #ElasticSearch pic.twitter.com/o7yXQml29n
— Christopher Shields (@Cshields2015) April 28, 2015
Useful blog posts, how tos, tutorials and articles from the wide world of all the ELK stack ecosystem.
Just released: #Elasticsearch for #Apache Hadoop 2.1 Beta 4 with new features, #Spark improvements, and more https://t.co/rA7fKrPp7e
— elastic (@elastic) April 28, 2015
- Check out our weekly deep dive into the latest developments in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene.
- We've also got the latest on Logstash, including details on the latest 1.5 RC3 release and some groovy community contributions!
- Curious about fixes and new features going into the Kibana 4.1 release over the past week? Read on: Kurrently in Kibana.
- ICYMI: Elasticsearch 1.5.2 and 1.4.5 were released on Monday. These releases fix a directory transversal vulnerability and all users are advised to upgrade. See the full details in the release blog post.
- An important feature has been added to the Ruby on Rails integration library: the ability to search across multiple models. Many thanks to Miguel Fernández for the implementation! (Issue)
- 500 Billion Documents! Check out how Verizon scaled Elasticsearch from a log analytics proof of concept to a 128-mode production system handling 20 billion documents per day.
- Heard all about our Logstash User Survey? You can read all about the results, our methodology and how you can analyze the data yourself to do neat stuff. Many thanks to all those who participated, and especially to those of you who volunteered to speak at user groups! You'll hear from Elastic's Developer Relations team soon with news on how we can connect you to cool meetups near you.
- Nathan LeClaire shared an excellent how to on automating Docker logging using the ELK stack and Logspout. Lots of sample code included to help you get started.
- Robin Moffat authored a deep dive article on analyzing an open data set from Donor's Choose - a US charity - with the ELK stack. Complete with instructions on how to ingest the data set and a walk through of data discovery using Kibana 4.
- Want to know more about how Kibana 4 works under the hood? Gilly Bar does a detailed walkthrough of K4's client side code. General AngularJS fan? This post will make your day with all its juicy details.
Just released a new version of #elasticsearch DSL, a high-level #python client. Lot of improvements and new features https://t.co/OE34uzxxOS
— Honza Král (@HonzaKral) April 24, 2015
Slides and Videos
Pere Urbon-Bayes' Logstash stories from the trenches
From the oldies but goodies files: Tour of an Elasticsearch Application by Nik Everett
How to sync transformed data from #MongoDB to #Elasticsearch using Transporter http://t.co/eSv7HWjbtN @composeio pic.twitter.com/SftVAZspVG
— DigitalOcean (@digitalocean) April 26, 2015
Where to find Us
We'd love to feature all the great Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana presentations and meetups happening worldwide in this section. If you're speaking about the ELK stack or hosting a meetup, let us know!
Samir Bennacer will take the stage at Voxxed Days Algiers to present An Introduction to the ELK Stack. This first ever conference takes place May 23, and Samir's talk is on for 2:00 PM.
The Melbourne Search Users Group will meet up on May 19 for a talk from Movideo: Migrating from Hibernate Search to Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat. We're pretty sure our very own Mark Walkom will be joining you, too!
If you're attending the upcoming Open Stack Summit in Vancouver, make sure to catch the In Search of OpenStack Logs: A Hands-On Workshop session. OpenStack Summit runs May 18-22.
- The Copenhagen Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on May 6, with speakers from Tradeshift, Falcon Social and our very own Honza Kral and Luca Cavanna, Software Engineers at Elastic. Register now to save your seat!
- The Copenhagen .NET User Group will get together on May 12 to talk Serilog and Elasticsearch in .NET. Register now to save your seat.
The Elasticsearch France Meetup returns to Paris on May 26. Watch this space so you know when we open up RSVPs!
- Our partner firm, Trifork, has organized a Berlin GOTO Night with our very own Pere Urbon addressing Making Sense of Your Data. The GOTO Night takes place on May 13 and registration is free of charge.
- And because we know you can't get enough of Pere, check out his talk at the May Berlin DevOps Meetup on May 20, where he'll talk Scaling Logstash: A Collection of War Stories. Register now to save your seat.
- The Stuttgart Elasticsearch Meetup will get together on May 21 to talk Shield: Securing Elasticsearch. Register now to save your seat.
We've got dueling meetups in Tel-Aviv Yafo on May 26:
- Israel AWS User Group: How to Use ELK to Monitor Large-Scale AWS Environments - RSVP
- Big things are happening hear meetup: Geo Data analytics & Real-world use cases for Elasticsearch - RSVP
Ruslan Zavacky will present on all things Elasticsearch at LatCraft's NoSQL and Data event on May 5. Register now to save your seat and get introduce to Elasticsearch!
Our partner firm, Comperio Search, will host a breakfast learning session on all things Elasticsearch on May 6. You'll hear from Elastic's Solutions Architect Christian Dahlqvist amongst other speakers. Attendance is free of charge, but registration is required.
Elasticsearch Jo'burg meetup 29 April at @JoziHub Elasticsearch is not just for search. Come explore with us! @elastic
— Jurgens du Toit (@jrgns) April 14, 2015
- If you're heading to the Spring I/O Conference in Barcelona, make sure to catch Clinton Gormley's talk Scaling Real-Time Search and Analytics with Elasticsearch. The conference runs April 29-30.
- Join Antonio Bonucelli for the next Elasticsearch Barcelona Meetup on May 21, where you'll learn all about Moving to Production with Elasticsearch: Best Practices. Register now to save your seat.
- The London Elasticsearch Meetup will next convene tonight, April 29 for casual drinks and Q&A with the Elastic developer team. Register now to let us know you're coming!
- The DevOps London Exchange meetup will welcome Richard Pijnenburg, creator of Elastic's Puppet Modules for Elasticsearch and Logstash, to talk using Puppet to setup and manage your Elasticsearch Prod/QA/Dev/Testing/Staging clusters. Register now to save your seat - at time of writing, there were only 6 left!
- Attending Strata + Hadoop World in London? Excellent, so are we! You can get your questions answered at Booth 408 in the exhibits hall, and make sure to catch Costin Leau on Search Evolved: Unraveling Your Data on Thursday, May 7 at 10:55 AM.
Not heading to Strata London? You can still see Costin speak!
We just announced the @elastic meetup around @strataconf London with our #Hadoop expert @costinl! Wed, May 6, 8pm. http://t.co/0q9ccQVx4C
— Livia Froelicher (@LivFroe) April 13, 2015
United States - East
United States - West
Just scheduled: next Chicago meetup coming up May 13 featuring speakers from @elastic @Orbitz RSVP: http://t.co/Z3lOlJiHg1
— Leslie Hawthorn (@lhawthorn) April 21, 2015
Where to Find You
PSST! If you're a regular reader, you're thinking of skipping this section. You may even be thinking to yourself, yes of course I will drop a note on Twitter when I am giving a talk on all things ELK. That's awesome, because we'd like to showcase every meetup, conference presentation and workshop on Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana happening worldwide. And now, we've made it even easier for you to get support for your meetup!
Head on over to our meetups page! (And we'll still totally send you swag if you're giving a talk on anything ELKy at a conference.)
Oh yeah, we're also hiring. If you'd like us to find you for employment purposes, just drop us a note. We care more about your skill set and passion for Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash than where you rest your head.
If you are interested in Elasticsearch training we have courses taught by our core developers coming up in:
- Copenhagen - May 6, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Mountain View - May 12, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Denver - May 18, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Hamburg - May 19, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Southwest Washington DC - May 19, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Vancouver - May 20, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - May 25, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Paris - May 26, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - May 26, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Miami - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Paris - May 27, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Sao Paulo - June 2, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Sao Paulo - June 3, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- New York - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- San Francisco - June 16, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- New York - June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- San Francisco- June 17, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Bangalore - June 22, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Bangalore - June 23, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Toronto - June 23, 2015 (Hands-On Workshop)
- Amsterdam - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Manchester - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Toronto - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)
- Chicago - June 24, 2015 (Core Elasticsearch)