Detects attempts to deactivate an Okta network zone. Okta network zones can be configured to limit or restrict access to a network based on IP addresses or geolocations. An adversary may attempt to modify, delete, or deactivate an Okta network zone in order to remove or weaken an organization’s security controls.
Rule type: query
Risk score: 47
Runs every: 5m
Maximum alerts per execution: 100
- Use Case: Identity and Access Audit
- Data Source: Okta
- Use Case: Network Security Monitoring
- Tactic: Defense Evasion
Rule license: Elastic License v2
Triage and analysis
Investigating Attempt to Deactivate an Okta Network Zone
The Okta network zones can be configured to restrict or limit access to a network based on IP addresses or geolocations. Deactivating a network zone in Okta may remove or weaken the security controls of an organization, which might be an indicator of an adversary’s attempt to evade defenses.
Possible investigation steps
Identify the actor related to the alert by reviewing the
event.actionfield to confirm the deactivation of a network zone.
okta.target.display_nameto identify the network zone that was deactivated.
event.timefield to understand when the event happened.
- Review the actor’s activities before and after the event to understand the context of this event.
False positive analysis
okta.client.user_agent.raw_user_agentfield to understand the device and software used by the actor. If these match the actor’s normal behavior, it might be a false positive.
- Check if the actor is a known administrator or part of the IT team who might have a legitimate reason to deactivate a network zone.
- Verify the actor’s actions with any known planned changes or maintenance activities.
Response and remediation
- If unauthorized access or actions are confirmed, immediately lock the affected actor account and require a password change.
- Re-enable the deactivated network zone if it was deactivated without authorization.
- Review and update the privileges of the actor who initiated the deactivation.
- Check the security policies and procedures to identify any gaps and update them as necessary.
- Implement additional monitoring and logging of Okta events to improve visibility of user actions.
- Communicate and train the employees about the importance of following proper procedures for modifying network zone settings.
The Okta Fleet integration, Filebeat module, or similarly structured data is required to be compatible with this rule.
event.dataset:okta.system and event.action:zone.deactivate
Framework: MITRE ATT&CKTM
- Name: Defense Evasion
- ID: TA0005
- Reference URL: https://attack.mitre.org/tactics/TA0005/
- Name: Impair Defenses
- ID: T1562
- Reference URL: https://attack.mitre.org/techniques/T1562/
- Name: Disable or Modify Cloud Firewall
- ID: T1562.007
- Reference URL: https://attack.mitre.org/techniques/T1562/007/