Upgrading to Enterprise Search 8.9.0? See Upgrading and migrating.
Running self-managed connectors in "native" mode is deprecated starting in 8.9.0.
- Create new native connectors exclusively on Elastic Cloud.
- Convert existing self-managed connectors running in native mode to connector clients.
make run no longer works on a fresh clone of the
If you have an unmodified default configuration, you will be prompted to modify the placeholder
changeme value for
Modify these values in your
config.yml file, before starting your connector service.
We’ve added a new Elasticsearch Relevance Engine (ESRE) getting started page to Enterprise Search.
- Get up and running quickly with semantic search powered by Elastic Learned Sparse Encoder, without the need to call third-party APIs or generate your own embeddings.
- You can now quickly build hybrid search experiences by combining lexical search and semantic search, using reciprocal rank fusion (RRF) with sub searches. RRF provides best-in-class hybrid scoring out of the box, without the need to write custom scoring functions or tweak model parameters.
- Read the Elasticsearch Relevance Engine (ESRE) documentation to learn all about our AI and machine learning powered features, and ask questions on our new ESRE Discuss forum.
- Check out the Elasticsearch labs repository, which contains sample apps and executable Python notebooks you can test for yourself.
New Microsoft E5 embedding model support is now available.
- Upload and manage E5 embedding models for semantic search including multilingual search use cases.
Our new SharePoint Online connector is generally available as both a native connector and a connector client. The following features are available for this connector by default:
- We’ve upgraded the Elastic connector framework to make it easier for developers to include DLS features in their own customized connectors.
- Available by default for the SharePoint Online connector in 8.9.
Content extraction for large files (technical preview)
- Extract large files by running a local service that allows connectors to extract text on-the-fly without sending files to the default ingest pipeline.
- Available only for the SharePoint Online connector client in 8.9.
- We’ve enhanced the connector framework with incremental sync support to make it easier for developers to speed up and simplify updates for customized connectors. Incremental sync is supported out of the box for SharePoint Online in 8.9.
We’ve added the following brand new connectors, available as self-managed connector clients in 8.9.0:
Search Applications have moved from tech preview to beta. We’ve introduced the following new features:
- Secure your public search endpoint by creating a scoped, search-only API key. This simplifies building validation flows and managing public access to your search applications.
- Developers can now combine searches like kNN and ELSER text expansion with traditional text search using reciprocal rank fusion (RRF). For an example, see: Search Applications search API and templates
- The Dev Tools Console now has autocomplete support for Search Application and Behavioral Analytics APIs.
- Fixed an issue where users were unable to complete configuration of the PostgresSQL connector client due to a mislabeled config key.
The following native connectors will not run correctly on Elastic Cloud in 8.9.0. They continue to be available as self-managed connector clients.
- Azure Blob Storage
- Confluence Cloud & Server
- Jira Cloud & Server
Workaround: Use the
Convert connectorbutton from the connector’s configuration page to convert the native connector to a connector client, to be run locally in a self-managed environment. (This issue will be fixed in 8.9.1.)
Refer to the Enterprise Search Known issues for a full list of known issues and workarounds.