You can configure alerts to be sent to you by email when health related events occur in your deployments. To set up email notifications:
- Follow the steps in Send alerts by email to add your email address to the Monitoring email whitelist.
- Enable logging and monitoring on deployments for which you want to receive notifications. You need to enable only metrics data being shipped for the notifications to work.
- In Kibana, configure the email connector to send email from Elastic Cloud. Note that the email connector for Elastic Cloud is supported in Kibana versions 7.9 and higher, excluding version 7.11.0 and version 7.11.1.
- From the Kibana main menu, go to Stack Monitoring. On this page you can see a summary of monitoring metrics for your deployment as well as any alerts.
- Click Enter setup mode.
On any card showing available alerts, click the alerts indicator. Use the menu to select the type of alert for which you’d like to be notified. There are many alert types, including:
- CPU usage threshold
- Disk usage threshold
- JVM memory threshold
- Missing monitoring data
- Thread pool rejections (search/write)
- CCR read exceptions
- Large shard size
Cluster alerting, including:
- Elasticsearch cluster health status
- Elasticsearch, Kibana, or Logstash version mismatches
- Elasticsearch nodes changed
All of these alerts are described in detail in Kibana alerts. Support for Kibana alerts began in version 7.9 and the alert types have gradually expanded. Check the documentation matching your Kibana version to see which alerts are available in that release.
Elasticsearch nodes changedalert, if you have only one master node in your cluser, during the master node vacate no notification will be sent. Kibana needs to communicate with the master node in order to send a notification. One way to avoid this is by shipping your deployment metrics to a dedicated monitoring cluster, which you can configure when you enable logging and monitoring in Step 2.
- In the Edit rule pane, set how often to check for the condition and how often to send notifications.
- In the Actions section, select Email as a connector type and select the email connector that you configured in Step 3.
- Configure the email contents and click Save. Make sure that the email address you specify is the one that you whitelisted in Step 1.