Elastic APM integrates with Jaeger, an open-source, distributed tracing system. This integration allows users with an existing Jaeger setup to switch from the default Jaeger backend, to the Elastic Stack — transform data with APM Server, store data in Elasticsearch, and visualize traces in the Kibana APM app. Best of all, no instrumentation changes are needed in your application code.
Ready to get started? See the How to integrate with Jaeger guide.
Jaeger architecture supports different data formats and transport protocols that define how data can be sent to a collector. Elastic APM, as a Jaeger collector, supports communication with Jaeger agents via gRPC.
- APM Server serves Jaeger gRPC over the same host and port as the Elastic APM agent protocol.
The APM Server gRPC endpoint supports TLS. If
apm-server.sslis configured, SSL settings will automatically be applied to APM Server’s Jaeger gRPC endpoint.
- The gRPC endpoint supports probabilistic sampling. Sampling decisions can be configured centrally with APM Agent central configuration, or locally in each Jaeger client.
See the Jaeger docs for more information on Jaeger architecture.
Communication with Jaeger Clients via thrift over HTTP (deprecated)
There are some limitations and differences between Elastic APM and Jaeger that you should be aware of.
Jaeger integration limitations:
- Because Jaeger has its own trace context header, and does not currently support W3C trace context headers, it is not possible to mix and match the use of Elastic’s APM agents and Jaeger’s clients.
- Elastic APM only supports probabilistic sampling.
Differences between APM Agents and Jaeger Clients:
- Jaeger clients only sends trace data. APM agents support a larger number of features, like multiple types of metrics, and application breakdown charts. When using Jaeger, features like this will not be available in the APM app.
Deprecated in 7.13.0.
APM Server serves Jaeger gRPC over the same port as the Elastic APM agent protocol. The following configuration options have been deprecated
You can specify the following options in the
apm-server.jaeger.* section of the
apm-server.yml configuration file.
Set to true to enable the Jaeger gRPC collector service. Defaults to
Define the gRPC host and port the server is listening on.
Defaults to the standard Jaeger gRPC collector port
Set to the name of the tag that should be used for authorizing Jaeger agents. By default, authorization does not apply to Jaeger agents.
Set to true to enable the Jaeger HTTP collector endpoint. Defaults to
Define the HTTP host and port the server is listening on.
Defaults to the standard Jaeger HTTP collector port