Financial Analyst, Cloud
Elastic is the world's leading software provider for making structured and unstructured data usable in real time for search, logging, security and analytics use cases. Founded in 2012 by the people behind the Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats open source projects, Elastic's global community has more than 50,000 members across 45 countries, and since its initial release, Elastic's products have achieved more than 50 million cumulative downloads. Today thousands of organizations like Cisco, eBay, Dell, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, HP, Microsoft, Netflix, NY Times, Uber, Verizon, Yelp, and Wikipedia use the Elastic Stack, X-Pack, and Elastic Cloud to power mission critical systems that drive new revenue opportunities and massive cost savings. Elastic is backed by $104 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, Index Ventures, and NEA; has headquarters in Amsterdam and Mountain View, California; and has over 350 employees in over 30 countries around the world.
As product adoption has soared within organizations ranging from the world’s largest financial institutions like Goldman Sachs, government organizations like NASA, large technology firms like Adobe, Cisco, HP, IBM, Microsoft, and Salesforce, and innovative companies like BlaBlaCar, Facebook, Github, Netflix, Uber, Yelp and Wikipedia, demand for hosted and managed Elasticsearch solutions have increasingly been on the rise for developers and companies who want a cloud option.
In March 2015, Elastic launched Elasticsearch as a Service. Today, the Elastic Cloud (hosted on AWS) is the only hosted Elasticsearch product on the market supported by the creators and engineers of the Elastic Stack. In addition, the Elastic Cloud is the only solution fully integrated with Elastic’s X-Pack plugins (security, alerting, monitoring, graph, and reporting) and continuously aligned to the latest version of the Elastic Stack.
Just like the success of our open source products, we are experiencing the same with the Elastic Cloud. Thus, we are seeking an exceptional finance professional to drive all financial planning, reporting, and analysis efforts to help grow and scale our cloud business. This role will provide the analysis needed to evolve our understanding of our cloud business, provide recommendations to maximize the opportunity ahead while balancing risk, and help facilitate executive decision making. This person should bring a passion to evolve our financial analysis while working seamlessly across Field Operations, Product Management, and Finance to grow and scale the Elastic Cloud.
- Own all monthly Cloud related KPIs (e.g., net expansion)
- Own the end-to-end Cloud budget and forecast process working closely with sales ops for bookings input, along with monthly actual to plan variance analysis of the financial elements to provide an understanding of the deltas and drivers.
- Build out and maintain a comprehensive model to measure the dynamics across the Cloud business end-to-end from website visitors to customer acquisition, bookings, revenue, expense and cash flow, working with the sales operations team for input to point of bookings.
- Support territory carving and GTM resource planning to optimize our coverage model across top markets and our incentive comp strategy across all GTM roles.
- Gather market intelligence to benchmark growth, renewal, expansion, and margins / profitability against other cloud businesses.
- Provide insight and data points to assist with pricing strategy decisions and sensitivity analysis in respect to margin implications.
- Develop a model for AWS usage to optimize cost considering commitment vs datacenter utilization, analyzing cost components and drivers. Review all AWS bills to ensure accuracy.
- Identify and recommend actions to improve margins.
- BS/BA required, MBA a strong plus but not required.
- 5+ years work experience in FP&A, Management Consulting, or similar field in SaaS organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to structure complex problems, develop solutions, and craft recommendations and results into easily digestible messages, communications, and executive presentations.
- Very strong executive presence and engagement skills.
- Highly collaborative style with strong influence skills and the ability to adjust on the fly to new demands with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced start-up environment.
- Power user proficiency with the MS Office suite (especially MS Excel and MS Powerpoint). VBA and Macros a plus but not required.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.