Software Engineer – Golang
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on absolutely anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
About the company
Elastic is the world's leading software provider for making structured and unstructured data usable in real time for search, logging, security and analytics use cases. Founded in 2012 by the people behind the Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats open source projects, Elastic's global community has more than 50,000 members across 45 countries, and since its initial release, Elastic's products have achieved more than 50 million cumulative downloads. Today thousands of organizations like Cisco, eBay, Dell, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, HP, Microsoft, Netflix, NY Times, Uber, Verizon, Yelp, and Wikipedia use the Elastic Stack, X-Pack, and Elastic Cloud to power mission critical systems that drive new revenue opportunities and massive cost savings. Elastic is backed by $104 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, Index Ventures, and NEA; has headquarters in Amsterdam and Mountain View, California; and has over 300 employees in over 30 countries around the world.
About the team
The Beats platform is the basis for building open source shippers that collect all kinds of operational data, store it in Elasticsearch, and visualize it with Kibana. They collect data from edge servers, and are used to power application performance monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, and network monitoring. We currently have four official Beats: Filebeat for gathering logs, Packetbeat for getting insights from the network traffic, Metricbeat to collect statistics from external systems, and Winlogbeat to monitor Windows event logs. In addition, the open-source community has created over 30 Beats, collecting data from all sorts of sources.
All current Beats are written in Golang.
The Beats team is responsible for maintaining the official Beats, for creating new ones, as well as for supporting the community around Beats. The team is distributed across the world from USA and Europe to Asia, and collaborates on daily basis over Github, Zoom, and Slack.
- Write open source Golang code for maintaining different Beats
- Dive into new technologies and figure out how to best monitor them
- Define and create new Beats
- Work with our support team to help customers
- Answer community questions
- Collaborate with other development teams, quality engineering team and documentation team to execute on product deliverables
Skills & Requirements
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related engineering discipline and 3+ years of industry experience
- Passion and experience creating system level software for Windows systems as well as Unix systems.
- Experience in Golang programming is a big plus, but not strictly required.
- Strong experience with C/C++ or other low level programming languages is a plus.
- Operational experience with monitoring systems is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a team player with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work in a distributed team throughout the world.
- Knowledge and experience in Elasticsearch, Logstash, Distributed Systems is a plus.
- Competitive pay, medical, dental, vision, disability, benefits
- Stock options
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with employees in over 27 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages! Some even fly south for the winter :)
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.