Research Engineer - Machine Learning
Location: Anywhere Globally
Solving World Data Problems
We have a simple goal to solve the world’s data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what’s possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots.
Elastic’s Origin: Search, Open Source, and Distributed
Founded in 2012 in Amsterdam by the people behind Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene, Elastic set forth a vision that search can solve a plethora of data problems. The origins of the company start back in 2010 when Shay Banon wrote the first lines of Elasticsearch and open sourced it as a distributed search engine. With the rise of cloud computing and changes in IT infrastructure demanding requirements such as real-time search across infinite amounts of structured and unstructured data, Shay foresaw the need for a new type of software to solve today’s real-world data problems. Steven Schuurman, Uri Boness, and Simon Willnauer shared in Shay’s vision, joining forces to create the Elastic company we have today. Since then, the creators of Kibana, Logstash, and Beats have joined the Elastic family, rounding out a product portfolio known as the Elastic Stack, which is used by millions of developers around the world. The Elastic family unites employees across 32 countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Machine Learning at Elastic
With the recent addition of Prelert to Elastic, we now have a fully dedicated Machine Learning team in house. Our goal is to further expand our capabilities in developing technologies that allow users to better understand the behavior of their data. Our team has developed an unsupervised machine learning engine that can plow through large amounts of data and automatically find those insights our users today have been proactively finding using search. Current use cases include finding anomalies within transactions / operational metrics, detecting uncharacteristic user behavior, finding a population of attacking IP addresses but we are looking forward to expanding our capabilities to many more in the future. And in order to get there, our team is looking to hire an exceptional Research Engineer to join them. This is an amazing opportunity to join a small, highly experienced team where you can make an immediate impact and contribution to the core of our new machine learning offering.
As a Research Engineer - Machine Learning you will be a pivotal part of our Prelert team and will contribute to the further development of our Machine Learning focussed projects by being a subject matter expert and resource to the software design and development process.
Our Research team at Elastic focuses on developing and applying techniques from Machine Learning, statistics and data mining, including but not limited to Bayesian modelling, counterfactual reasoning, feature learning and data stream processing. Our goal is to build powerful and robust solutions such as anomaly detection, categorisation and recommendation, enabling customers to gain insight from their data.
- BS, MS or PhD in an applied data science discipline such as Mathematics, Physics, Neuroscience, Machine Learning or similar.
- Academic research or Industry experience as a Research Engineer in Machine Learning / Statistical Analysis / Big Data
- Experience in algorithm design and development
- Experience in C++ programming is advantageous
- Experience in data visualization is advantageous
- Ability to independently research technologies, algorithms and tools
- Ability to work on a distributed team: work in a structured disciplined manner and document data and results effectively
- Able to work collaboratively, good communication skills, personable
- Passion for Big Data Analytics, Machine Learning and achieving excellence.
- Competitive pay, medical, dental, vision, disability, benefits
- Stock options
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with employees in over 32 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages! Some even fly south for the winter :)
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.